Do you care which diagnosis they give you?

My first psychiatrist said schizoaffective,
my second undifferentiated,
my third undifferentiated,
my fourth paranoid,
disability committee schizophreniform (which lasts less than 6 months, i know it’s not valid but i dont care)

1 Like

I care only to the extent that I’m able to get the meds I need. Heavy duty APs isn’t typical treatment for borderline personality disorder, which is the backup Dx that always gets thrown around. So if they dropped the sz Dx and tried to get me to be sane with just therapy and maybe antidepressants, I would be very scared and angry. But as an adult I don’t really fit any of the criteria for BPD, though I did as a teenager (but most teenagers do imo). So hopefully that’s never a problem.

2 Likes

My diagnosis is important to me… I like having a neat box to fit into even tho my symptoms are weird and varied. Im currently diagnosed with sza bipolar type autism ptsd and ocd

2 Likes

They can diagnose me as a basset hound, it ain’t.’t going to change my life. My label does not come up 95% of the time in my everyday life.

5 Likes

I think it matters to have the right label/diagnosis. Even if it’s kind of scary. I wanted to think I had Bipolar with psychotic features. I even got the label changed to that a few years back.

The medication Abilify is so effective that I was able to convince people. I’m not sure which it is though/because now I know that Marijuana makes me psychotic/Prozac makes me psychotic/all anti-depressants make me weirdly psychotic. so the truth is, the —Lack of emotion/flat affect will never go away.

I have schizophrenia. I will never feel empathy/emotions the way I want to. I still have compassion and love/spiritual life and care. But I can’t medicate to create something that isn’t natural for me. So many psychiatrists thought I was depressed or bipolar and the anti-depressants caused the bipolar symptoms.

Right now I am diagnosed with schizophrenia. Just schizophrenia. My pdoc is careful but he doesn’t know just how bad anti-depressants are for me. I’m going to tell him that all anti-depressants have always made me psychotic and see what he says and that Abilify is working but not enough…

I may start Aristada injections again

4 Likes

Good luck @anon71432064

3 Likes

Having a diagnosis is very important to me. I’m happy with my sza bipolar type diagnosis because it describes me the best.

2 Likes

I don’t care what they call it. Please fix it.

4 Likes

I think diagnosis is not important. The important thing is if your evolution is good or not. I mean, if you take your meds, if meds work, if you have a healthy life…

3 Likes

I’d feel very hurt if I got diagnosed with necrophilia or Stendhal syndrome. So the answer is yes, I care.

4 Likes

Nope, don’t give a duck. As long as my symptoms are mitigated by proper meds, I don’t see the point in labeling myself. Seems rather juvenile and petty.

3 Likes

Antidepressants can cause manic psychosis in bipolar people.

1 Like

@Lifer why wouldn’t they give u benefits if you were diagnosed as bipolar? your symptoms are what they are no matter the diagnosis.

3 Likes

Long as I keep getting my meds I don’t really care. In the beginning the dx was nice so I could research it but now it doesn’t really matter.

-S

1 Like

They could tell me I’ve got bibbily bobbily boobily disorder and my question would still be “so how do I treat it?”

1 Like

i learned i was with sz many years ago. at first it was traumatic to learn this. now it overly defines me.

judy

1 Like

I like that they think I have psychosis NOS instead of schizophrenia it suggests to me that they think I have more chance of being able to come off meds. And not relapse. But ya never know :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’m happy with my SZA BP diagnosis as it gets me support as well as benefits, without them I would be homeless or living in a crap-hole.

2 Likes

My meds work well and every Doctor I have seen over the decades has a different opinion, so the heck with labels, is whatever it is

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.