Do you believe there is true randomness?

I have a scenario: an F-1 tornado drops out of a cloud, destroys a farmer’s barn, then goes back into the cloud and vanishes. Is that a random occurance? If there are any mathematicians or scientists on this site maybe they could give us the benefit of their intelligence.

Those three letter agencies that have the world’s best super computers have not yet been able to solve this randomness, they are getting better but God is randomness … they will never able to solve this randomness.

1 Like

I developed my triangle game that has some basic chess/shogi etc. rules, but then there are random events which makes the game more realistic, because the world has a lot of randomness. I learned ‘Random function’ already when I was a child and when did some Basic programs with this random function with Sinclair Spectrum in the early 1980s.

I guess there is randomness just when you throw the dice. I met one mathematician who didn’t believe there was true randomness. Can you create any kind of algorythm for how the dice roll?

I believe that no mathematician can solve randomness, even when they think they have solved, there will be more randomness …and more randomness … those agencies such NSA try to break codes that are based on randomness, but in the end there will be more randomness… somehow I think that it is in the original algorithm of God since the beginning of the universe …

2 Likes

This brings to mind the movie I saw of Alan Turing breaking the German enigma codes. They had to discern order out of seeming randomness. You’re right, there is a lot of randomness in the universe.

Modern crypto algorithms are much more advanced than the enigma codes, new algorithms will be developed, when old ones are solved … well more and better Super Computers … I suppose this is why America won the Cold War, because America has the best Super Computers … in the 1990s in America my hobby was to collect crypto algorithms . I still have these on my other PC …

1 Like

During the Cold War America restricted exports of Computers to certain countries such as the Soviet Union, George Bush Senior opened these restrictions in 1989 allowing IBM PCs to be exported to the Soviet Union, there is an interesting story … I may have written it already in the past, some Russians such as Alexei knew that these restrictions were to be opened already before they actually did it, well I went to study in America, maybe he got another partner back then, you know my life could have been quite different.

I think I remember reading about that in Time magazine. Computers have become frighteningly powerful. There is no telling where the technology will lead.

1 Like

Computers always are developing, but when I look back, at the age of 21 in 1989 I could have been exporting IBM PCs to the Soviet Union with these Russian partners such as Alexey, it could have been quite something … these are these missed opportunities … :smile:

There’s true randomness. Quantum mechanics is a rock solid theory and says that we can only know probabilities.

1 Like

in America I participated in some activities of Defence Modeling and Simulation Office in the 1990s, they actually simulate wars nowadays, but the war in Iraq is a good example how these Computer simulations can go wrong, probabilities . … did not quite simulate the summer of 2003.

2 Likes

If all the conditions and the way the dice was thrown were identical then the resulting number would be identical. It’s just that a person could probably not recreate the exact same roll in the exact same conditions

1 Like

quantum wave states have a probabilistic nature

1 Like

The next question is does probability mean randomness, or not.

dear crimby…remember Michael Creighton? he wrote jurassic park and he has theories about randomness in his writings.

1 Like

Of course it’s random, because its nature. It doesn’t matter who’s barn it was. It could have been Fidel Castro who was living on that farm or Tom Cruise or Kim Kardashian and the tornado would have destroyed their farm just like anyone else.

Acts of god do not discriminate in their victims. It could have been me or you on that farm and the destruction would still have occurred. Natural disasters are great equalizers in their destruction. We all think we have control until an earthquake or a hurricane comes out of of the blue and shows us who’s really boss.

2 Likes

The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike.

2 Likes

Bad things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. Life is a huge lotto game and the rules change every day.

Yes, I believe in randomness. Even if I scientist can pick it apart after the fact, it doesn’t make it any less random.