Schizophrenia.com

Do you atheists still refer to god in everyday talk

See I’ll use the word god to explain things for some folks. I think some atheists use religious grammar to enhance their vocabulary with others. But in reality they ain’t feeling the holy spirit so to speak.

1 Like

I come from a catholic family, my mom graduated from Notre Dame along with her brothers and she was a nun for a while before she met my dad (obviously, LOL). I just heard “god” and “Jesus” alot at the catholic schools I went to, so I sometimes say G-D when I drop something or spill something. I try not to but I have a habit. I can see how a religious person would not like athiests using those words at all. Like OMG and Jesus Christ! Must be annoying for you.

0 Likes

Same here. Bad habit.

0 Likes

I am Agnostic, I use the word God a lot. I dont know what to make out of the concept of a higher power, sometimes I want to believe or feel there is something more to life than just us humans

2 Likes

Yeah but do us schizophrenics travel the path upright that God would rather us take? We know what’s right we think what’s wrong, sometimes wrong feels so right. But it’s like I’m not living straight by the law of the universe. Recovery has been my arrow. Recovery has opened nuerogenesis.

0 Likes

I would say that the use of god in terms like oh my god, I can’t believe that happened… really has very little to do with the entity God. It is a figure of speech mostly. Something used out of habit. I believe in the entity but when I say oh my god I am not praying or referring to him. I was raised in Newfoundland, Canada and one of those types of phrases is: For the love of Mary… Again it may have originated as a reference to the virgin Mary but now is a figure of speech, not meant to be taken completely literally. At least I don’t think so.

2 Likes

I am a devout atheist. I only use the word “god” when discussing it. No goddamnits, no omgs, none of that crap. How can anyone take me seriously if I just invoke the deity’s name for no reason?

1 Like

I learned something very valuable that questioned my atheism. It has to do with not religion, is the bible considered religion? But what gems of knowledge our past ancestors had to leave us with this knowledge. If I would of had a certain knowledge prior to me ruining my life, I never would of walked that path. I think atheists have something to teach and I think the bible has something to teach atheists.

0 Likes