Do u think prostitution should be legal

that’s exactly true. and the best that the government can do is make a whole bunch of indirect laws that would just not make it prostitution anymore. then again, the definition of prostitution is probably something to consider. I might have a superficial or extreme view of it.

I thought nowadays that prostitution was used mostly by a drug addict to receive drugs for their addiction. Male or female. Gay or straight.

If they’re able to take credit card information, require photo ids, employ security and expect prompt, respectful response from law enforcement without fear of repercussions, then that is going to cut down drastically on what people feel free to do behind closed doors.

Edit: studies on New Zealand before and after decriminalization.

5 Likes

I just think it’s wrong, stats don’t do nothing for a person who is either dead or beaten or forced to sleep with hundreds of low life’s Make it legal is just saying we approve of it and we have done our part to protect you. The reality the results from the activity are never good, the costs in treating the workers after the fact is very high. Yes it’s a no win cause so many will never have enough respect for themselves or others, just the world we live in

3 Likes

Last weeks episode of “This is Life with Lisa Ling” (on CNN) was about legalized brothels in the state of Nevada.

It sounded like a good situation for the women working there as well as the customers, with a lot of protections in place.

With that said, the prices there were extremely expensive so most people couldn’t afford them. I imagine part of the high price is to pay for the protections put in place by the legalization.

The problem is that to make prices affordable, if prostitution were universally legalized, I would guess that the protections would dwindle or become non-existent to drive the price back down.

I really don’t know what the best answer or solution would be. :confused:

1 Like

Of course it should be legal. One way or the other, you sell yourself / your time to make a living, unless you’re fortunate enough to be born into wealth. Some people find having sex with strangers to be less degrading than many other jobs. If I had the choice between being a prostitute for $200+ per hour or cleaning up trash for $10 per hour, I’d chose prostitution.

Why should politicians determine what’s right and wrong for you? Each person should determine how they make a living and if it doesn’t cause physical harm to members of society, then government should stay out. Obviously with prostitution, STD’s and human trafficking are major concerns that are legitimately addressed by governments in places that prostitution is legal. In places that prostitution is illegal, these problems still exists and the government has no ability to address these problems since everything is underground.

Furthermore, having the government passing laws dealing with prostitution opens the door for the government passing laws dealing with other aspects of an individuals sex life, such as the many laws that have been used to discriminate against homosexuals.

How exactly is it acceptable for a woman to have sex with a man for free, but it’s immoral if she charges money for it? One way or the other, the man pays for sex, either through his time or by spending money on taking the woman on the date.

Human trafficking and abuse exist commonly outside of prostitution and are entirely different issues. Regardless if prostitution is legal or illegal, these problems still persist. Slavery is a larger problem today than at any other point in human history. There’s an estimated 30 million slaves in the world.

In the end though, this is a moot question. In the very near future, virtual reality and sex robots will come into vogue. Technology isn’t quite there yet, but is not far off. This will allow people to fulfill their sexual desires without giving up any autonomy, which is necessary in traditional relationships. This will also allow people with all sorts of abnormal fetishes to fulfill their sexual desires without hurting anyone.

3 Likes

Boom! Rhubot with the cold hard facts!

I think it should be legal and taxed. And @butterflybrains, no one is arguing that human trafficking should be legal. But legalizing prostitution would go a long way towards getting rid of the market human traffickers operate in. It would also stop prostitutes from getting paid in drugs, which would help get rid of the “drug addicts being abused” demographic.

1 Like

I’m not sure legalized prostitution has been as much of a success story in the Netherlands though, and it’s been legalized there for a long time.

Amsterdam is a well know sex tourism destination which brings with it a whole new potential for abuses and problems.

As with many questions, there is often data to support both sides of the argument.

Driving through Nevada I heard a brothel advertising the services, I believe it was on our CB radio, this was 1988. and learned that a strawberry :strawberry: was a red headed prostitute.

I cannot think of a good reason not to decriminalize prostitution. Even if we exclusively focused on the costs of arresting and jailing of prostitutes it would be a significant savings.

Call me crazy, but what if we used the savings to invest in mental health services?

2 Likes

Their prices are high due to plain old supply and demand.

There is an agreement between the brothels to charge within a certain price range to avoid severe undercutting.

Not to mention the fact that many brothels are owned by the same entity, anyway.

Legalized sex trade is a good idea, and there’s plenty of business for it, but it needs to be better regulated on both sides of the counter to protect the consumers as well as the providers.

Those who go on about human trafficking when discussing legalized prostitutions are only showcasing their ignorance. Regulations protect the workers and provide plenty of opportunity for the workers to blow the whistle. Those who participate in human trafficking want no part of legalizing their business and the fear-mongerers that screech against legalized prostitution are their greatest allies.

1 Like

legalizing prostitution lowers crime rates and rape

is that backed up by statistics or are you just saying that.

All that’s happening here is a bunch of MEn chipping in about why prostitution should be legalised.
What about good old fashion decency or has that died out.
I think a lot of men have visited prostitutes and have to justify it to themselves somehow,.

I’m a guy and I don’t like the idea of prostitution. But I wonder about the benefits because there are some. The profession is never going to fade away. And I absolutely am disgusted by human trafficking.

It’s actually the opposite. Most of the people for it are young women, some of whom have been prostitutes themselves. Most of those against it are older men. On the forum, anyways.

1 Like

Some people do seem to think that prostitution should be turned into pro-Institution.

Wiki definition of Institutions.

Institutions are “stable, valued, recurring patterns of behavior”.[attribution needed][1] As structures or mechanisms of social order, they govern the behaviour of a set of individuals within a given community. Institutions are identified with a social purpose, transcending individuals and intentions by mediating the rules that govern living behavior.[2]
The term “institution” commonly applies to both informal institutions such as customs or behavior pattern important to a society, and to particular formal institutions created by entities such as the government and public services. Primary or meta-institutions are institutions such as the family that are broad enough to encompass other institutions.
As structures and mechanisms of social order, institutions are a principal object of study in social sciences such as political science, anthropology, economics, and sociology (the latter described by Émile Durkheim as the “science of institutions, their genesis and their functioning”).[3] Institutions are also a central concern for law, the formal mechanism for political rule-making and enforcement.

Ninja I don’t get your statement.

Most of the people here who have been supportive of the idea of legalizing protstitution are women, and some of us have had the experience of having sex for money. It seriously is just another job to some people. Most of the people who have been against it are men.

That’s simply untrue.