Do they really care?

I sometimes wonder if my psychiatrist really cares about me?

I mean she sounds concerned at least and she’ll ask me questions about myself outside of medication management.

I mean does she see me as one big dollar sign?

Or does she see the human behind the generic diagnosis?

It’s sometimes difficult to tell.

4 Likes

It sounds like you have a good psychiatrist. Any that I have met have just been cold, and refused to discuss anything outside of meds

3 Likes

Yeah she seems empathetic, especially for a pdoc.
Thanks @Cragger

1 Like

That’s been my experience too.

2 Likes

Thanks @everhopeful

2 Likes

In fairness I only care for my loved ones

2 Likes

Yeah thanks @san_pedro

1 Like

In my small circle of MI’ers, we get them sometimes. We just call them “med checks” coz that’s all they do. A trained monkey could do a better job :monkey_face:

3 Likes

She does care… you are her patient… she wants to see you well… i don’t feel people go into these professions if they didn’t…

3 Likes

No it their job to heal you. Like police to protect people from bad guys

1 Like

Thanks @iconoclast_01 @Milly and @anon48059102

2 Likes

They have their own rules and strategies for proper treatment. They don’t love you They are just are normal people

1 Like

But they can treat you with kindness and compassion that’s what good doctors do

2 Likes

I disagree with some of the people in this thread. I think that it is possible for a psychiatrist to care about their patients. They aren’t necessarily all cold and heartless. I have no idea if yours does or not @Wave . That’s something that you have to decide for yourself.

5 Likes

I have no doubt there are good psychiatrist, I’ve just never met one

1 Like

Thanks @Bowens 1555

1 Like

I think I have wrote extensively on this subject, here and elsewhere. I had one psychiatrist who actually REALLY cared. He was the psychiatrist at a jail that I was put in. Not only did he exude compassion and patience, he knew more about what was going on in general, and specifically how to medicate people (which is actually necessary in those places) more so than any Medical or Psychiatric doctor I have ever met. Surprised me, I figured a guy like that would a jaded shell of a human being. Just goes to show, Skillful & Good People can be found even in the most hellish of environments. Their like True Warriors, Rushing Into the Fray, Even At Risk To Themselves.

3 Likes

Thanks @mister_lister

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter if my pdoc cares about me or not. As long as he keeps being correct in his medical evaluations, keeps listening when I report symptoms/side effects, and keeps prescribing my meds, I don’t really care if he likes me as a person.

5 Likes

Thanks @Ninjastar

2 Likes