Do Negative and cognitive symptoms get in the way of driving vehicles?

Someone with negative symptoms, managing to drive a vehicle with tranquility, attention and precision?

1 Like

Cognitive impairment gets in the way of me driving. I don’t have the concentration to drive unfortunately.

Negative symptoms probably don’t matter for driving in my opinion.

6 Likes

I think it’s my Haldol that makes it hard for me to drive. I don’t have the mental alertness to drive on the highways. But I can drive on main roads

1 Like

for me it is pure anxiety that gets in the way of driving and stress

2 Likes

and the concentration required for it in combination with the anxiety and stress would be too much for me

2 Likes

same here. pdoc said i shouldn’t drive anymore and i think he is right.

3 Likes

I drive very well

1 Like

I’m a good driver, and I don’t have any symptoms that get in the way of it. Once I’m behind the wheel, I’m totally focused on the road.

1 Like

Negative symptoms don’t affect my driving. I’ve been known to park a vehicle for safety when having trouble with positives being distracting or being slowed down by high doses of meds.

3 Likes

I’m a delivery driver, that’s my job. I’m on the road 6-8 hours a day. Rural, suburban, highways. I spend like 90% of my shift driving.

I love to drive.

I don’t really have negative symptoms or cognitive problems though. But I had very intense positives before I was medicated. But even when I had positives I could drive just fine.

3 Likes

I think my thoughts race worse when I drive and I panic. Because I’m sitting still and trying to focus.

1 Like

Never taken a driving test. Too aware of my impairments, and the fact I’d be an accident waiting to happen,to get behind the wheel of a car.

1 Like

I drove for 40 years and I got into so many accidents every one of those years that I can’t count them all.

I walked away from every one of them without a scratch and I never hurt anyone else either, by the grace of God.

In all of that time, no doctor, court, DMV department or insurance company ever told me that I had to quit driving. Instead, the insurance companies kept replacing my wrecked cars. Even more amazing, they kept lowering my rates for being a loyal customer.

It was my cognitive impairment that I was dealing with. Anyway, one year, when I fell into a ditch and a month later was actually jailed due to my driving, I voluntarily surrendered my drivers license and I have never been happier.

3 Likes

I feel that schizophrenia has fcked up my vision. Actually I know it has fcked up my vision. It has taken away my contrast sensitivity, the borders around objects are less sharp, etc. Also concentration issues etc. I do drive while being schizophrenic, but it isn’t safe for me to drive at all. I should have my driver’s license revoked. Have also almost ran over a few pedestrians trying to cross the driveway to my apartment cause they will just pop into view.

2 Likes

Honestly, my car keeps me safe.

I suck at driving. I go over the lines way too often, I have a hard time staying in my lane while going around a curve or a corner, sometimes I don’t notice that the car is breaking in front of me, and when I’m backing out of a parking spot, I have a hard time paying attention to other movements of cars or people.

But my car has a lot of safety features. It auto-corrects my car if I get close to going over the traffic lines. It helps keep me in my lane when I’m going around curves, it auto-brakes if someone brakes in front of me if I don’t notice in time, and I have a backup camera that alerts me of any movement of other cars or people while I’m backing out.

I’ve had this car (2018 Subaru Crosstrek) for almost a year, and not a single ding or accident of any kind! I love my car.

I used to think all of the traffic assist features were silly. Like, I don’t need that extra crap, right? But now I’ve realized it is so important for me, to keep me and others safe.

4 Likes

That’s all so cool!

2 Likes

That happened to me the other day, I was at a stop sign looked both ways saw nothing, went to pull out almost plowed a truck Right in the center and I looked and never saw it

3 Likes

I drove a car and a motorcycle while unmedicated.

1 Like

Honestly they need to have tests that test how safe it is for schizophrenics to drive. I bet about 50% of us would fail.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.