Do meds interact w CBD oil?

Anyone try cbd, is it good for insomnia? Can it be used with latuda?

1 Like

I’m going to assume you’re using CBD oil that doesn’t contain THC. I wouldn’t “think” it would give any adverse effects, but I’ve never been given latuda so I can’t vouch. I’m on zyprexa(for now) and doesn’t give me any crap side effects. For me it does wonders for insomnia, and lessens my anxiety and other cognitive stuff. It’s not a cure, but it does help in my opinion. I smoke weed and have no negative side effects that I notice. But that’s me and my choice. I prefer the flower for the taste, but I like wax or bho or whatever you wanna call it for the effects. Strains high in CBD don’t effect me negatively, but smoking some of the more pure sativas make me paranoid as hell. But to answer your question, I don’t think you should have any issues, but take this like a grain of salt as I’m not a doctor and don’t want to give bad advice. If you already have some, I would try a tiny bit and see if you notice anything out of ordinary. If so, I would stop using it in conjunction with your meds. Just my 2 cents is all

2 Likes

I used it with haldol for a while. It didn’t really work for me, though.

1 Like

My husband will be getting medical marijuana soon. The oil, but has thc from what I know of. Only the oil is legal in our state. I’m going to be researching drug interactions for him.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I just bought 7 lollipops for $10. Been a bit hypomanic for the last few nights so hopefully this helps me sleep

1 Like

I use it occasionally with risperidone. I think it improves my sleep, but just slightly. I think it really does help some people though.

Potential issues. As you add different medicines, you increase the risk of various neurologic, intestinal and psychiatric effects which may not be desirable. CBD effects are mostly mediated through CB1 and CB2 receptors. CBD is metabolized likely through CYP3A4 and CYP2C19 enzymes. Latuda effects are mediated largely through serotonin and dopamine and is processed through CYP3A4, the same enzyme. So there is a possible interaction. If you have any doubt call your pharmacist who can be very helpful. All the best.

1 Like

cbd can keep certain drugs in your system longer,
screws up the ability to metabolize properly.
I believe antipsychotics are on the list,
i’m not sure if it’s harmful or not, just takes longer to process the drug.
that’s all i know!

3 Likes

My guy what i would give to be in your shoes. I had to stop smoking cause of voices but i dont hear anything any more when i smoke but it makes me paranoid smoking in a state where its illegal. Plus its just not for me right now at least thc isnt but cbd i want to try. Specifically the flower cause i like smoking tree for the taste more than just to get high. Ima try it when i go on vacation to california to see if ill like it.

I take CBD oil (without the THC) as a couple of drops a day on the tounge. Helps with the anxiety - on the Invega jab if that helps. I liken it to Valerien Root that you get in Kalms herbal Tablets. Mild effect but its certainly helping.

1 Like

CBD and Latuda can be safe or dangerous, it depends on how you consume it.

CBD cannot be ingested while on Latuda. CBD inhibits the enzyme that metabolizes Latuda in the liver, this can lead to a dangerous increase of Latuda in your blood and in extreme situations death.

However, you can take CBD sublingually or through vaping because that way it bypasses your digestive system (liver specifically). If you take it sublingually or vape it it gets absorbed directly into your blood stream, and these way are also a quicker way to feel its effects.

So yes you can take CBD as long as you don’t swallow a capsule or gummy or whatever, just avoid getting it in your digestive system.

How? The liver filters everything in the blood no matter how you ingest or smoke/vape CBD.

1 Like

I tried posting a link to an article but this website won’t let me. I tried quoting the article but it hasn’t been approved while my other posts have been approved so I don’t know how to impart the information. All I can suggest is you look up “how does the body absorb cbd” on Google, there are several websites saying the same thing I did, discussing ingestion vs vaping vs sublingual vs topicals, you just have to find them, they should show up on the first page of results.

zombie thread @anon4362788 @Ninjastar

I wouldn’t trust the internet for serious medical stuff, I would ask a Dr.

I have asked my GP and Psychiatrist and both told me they don’t know much about CBD so I’ve been forced to do my own research, they basically told me the jury is still out. I understand the “Ask your doctor” advice and for the most part I agree with it but on more than one occasion I’ve gotten conflicting advice from different doctors on the same topic.

I agree with you that you shouldn’t trust everything you read on the Internet but there is more than 1 article discussing what I was talking about.

I take Latuda, Lexapro, and Quetiapine, and I was wondering how CBD would interact with them. I’ve been wanting to take CBD bc I have really bad anxiety.

Welcome to the forum @GOOMIMASTER

Welcome to the forum @GOOMIMASTER !
I think this is a zombie thread though.

TMG / trimethylgycine helps some with anxiety.