Do meds get rid of delusions?

As above. I’m on an increased dosage of aripiprazole 10mg(started last week) with antidepressants and benzos. Does it help with the delusions or paranoia? Cos it feels like it doesnt make much difference, just slightly relaxed(from benzos maybe)… Or should i give it more time.

I’m on double that and it took doubke before it really worked for me. Theys start low to decrease side effects

1 Like

Definitely give it time.

2 Likes

In my case they did. I went on Zyprexa, and later went on Risperdal.

1 Like

My delusions have definitely calmed down. I take a combination of Clozapine and Ziprasidone though, and it has taken both of them to get my delusions and hallucinations to a good space.

I would give your medication some more time. It takes a little while for it to provide you with the full benefit. In the meantime, always converse with your pdoc about what is happening for you so they can be sure to give you the best treatment.

1 Like

they help a lot. I was a total mess before I got on Haldol. Some meds work better than others but it totally depends on the person

1 Like

When I started aripiprazole, I was told it could take at least 5 weeks to see noticeable changes. Be patient :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m 1 week plus on it so far. And when i stepped out of my house, the anxiety from paranoia was bad enough. Not sure if i can last 2,3,4,5 weeks.

I have less delusions on Latuda. I am
able to reason more.

Yes my medication has really helped my delusions a lot. I had a lot of different delusions. It’s calmed down a lot. There was a big difference after a couple of weeks. I take paliperidone 100mg depot.

I still have some harmless delusions even on huge doses of meds. But I don’t mind them. For example, stockhausen opened the way for me as the saviour of the world.
I have captain beefheart’s mustache intertwined with my brain neurons. It grows bigger every time I listen to Trout Mask Replica.
And many more

1 Like

They help, but I still have irrational thoughts. The meds help clear my head and reduce the intensity of the delusions and thoughts. Sometimes, I delve too deep into them and it becomes an obsession.

I wish they would.

I’d give the meds more time to see if they become more effective.

In my case the antipsychotic has taken away a lot of the fear I used to feel from my delusions (paranoia mainly) but I do still have paranoid beliefs.

They make it easier to descern what’s real and what’s not

1 Like

For me abilify didnt help. I only tried it a week. It varies per person though. Tell your pdoc if the delusions are unbearable atm.

Haldol helps me immediately or within days at most. It doesnt directly take away all delusions. Especially not the core delusions. It makes me more indifferent. My intense fear goes away. My thinking slows down. Thus some delusions lessen.

Perhaps ask for therapy too, to help you deal with the delusions in another way.

The meds haven’t stopped me from believing things people say aren’t real. But some delusions did go away for me.

Give it more time definitely.

In my experience Zyprexa is best for delusions.

APs never worked on my delusions but I tolerate them better after so many years. Things do get better but the delusions may never go away completely.

Our brains are broken.

1 Like