Schizophrenia.com

Do I want to risk going off antipsychotics again?

Hell no! Not even in 10 years … not even if I try a non antipsychotic mood stabaliser. I just don’t wanna risk it… It almost cased my relationship to fall apart…

5 Likes

Same. I’ve tried going off of meds a few times and it never ends well

1 Like

Yeah not only does it effect me when that happnes (I realised), my family were a total mess too. Why would I put them through that I don’t ever want to see them worried again.

4 Likes

Very true. I never thought of it like that before

1 Like

yea i’m not trying it anymore either… one time they tapered off my meds and i just got hit back hard and had to go psych ward again… now i won’t stop my APs anymore…

3 Likes

You live and learn… I mean they told me it was ok to come off the antipsychotic I didn’t even do it without their consent… But it ended badly…

1 Like

yea our families get effected too… it’s one of the reasons i won’t stop anymore cause i don’t want my family to get upset when things go bad.

2 Likes

A doc in our family said you could attempt it provided that you felt stable for 1 year or more. I’m hoping to get there.

3 Likes

If you want to you can try. However I attempted it after 10 years with no positive or negatives and it backfired

Don’t want to come off my APs but would like to be free from pregabalin

1 Like

Is that a mood stabaliser ?

1 Like

It is related to gabapentin. Can be used for pain, anxiety or seizures. I take it for anxiety but it made me gain weight :scream:

1 Like

I am not stopping again. My diagnosis was psychosis NOS for 5 yrs then I stopped meds for 2yrs. At first it felt good but then it was hell especially at the end when I was hospitalized. After being put on meds again Drs changed my diagnosis to sz. The Dr who stopped my meds told me before stopping my meds that he will change my diagnosis to sz if I relapse without meds.

2 Likes

Everytime I came off my AP’S (since the return of my illness in 2012) it was a disaster

1 Like

I’m apt to get hurt when I come off an antipsychotic, one way or another.

1 Like

Right now I’m on an injection that causes way too many side effects so I plan on coming off. I may or may not take anything. I wanna maybe get on abilify or caplyta :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Talk to your doctor about your side effects.
Abilify and Caplyta are both good meds also.

Good luck @cutie18heart

2 Likes

Work with your doctor on it. Hopefully they will be sympathetic.

1 Like

My brain started taking APs within a year of first sign of psychosis at age 22/23. I really cannot go off of them or back. I sort of think they help and wish I started earlier like within a months time, but I also think they make me lazy. I noticed even higher doses can have beneficial effects like less symptoms and more motivation if done correctly. Doctor even admitted this.

2 Likes

That’s good that you’re not only considering how it affects you, but also how it affects others too. Lots of wisdom in that

1 Like