Do I have intrusive thoughts?

Everyday when my wife comes home we go to relax together. And everyday I talk to her about quitting work and staying home. It’s as if I can’t help myself from bringing up the topic and will even romanticize the idea talking for hours about how great it would be. This has been going on for months.

Ps it’s totally impractical for her to leave work

Your behavior is really ugly @Moonwalker

It’s not that bad… but it’s probably intrusive thoughts making me do it right?

@Moonwalker you can’t solve your problems at the expense of your wife.
If you feel lonely, the solution is to find friends and socialize.

It’s not like she’s working cause she wants to or likes the job

@Moonwalker I think it’s bad to encourage your wife to quit her job.
You don’t care about her at all.
If you loved her you wouldn’t suggest that she sit at home,
that’s what I think.

Maybe thinking it is intrusive thoughts but not saying it. Does it bother her when you bring it up?

Sometimes it bothers her, most the time she knows I say it because I love her

Wow, that’s a really mean thing to say. If he’s feeling compelled to talk about something it has nothing to do with how much he does our doesn’t love someone. You should think before you type. That’s a really ugly thing to say.

4 Likes

It does sound like they are intrusive thoughts…

I keep having intrusive thoughts about how I should be in a psychiatric hospital even though I don’t want to be and am not currently a danger to myself or anyone else.

I wish I knew how to get rid of them…

1 Like

just ignore them…

In my experience intrusive thoughts are like me, as the BIGGEST animal lover in the world (would die for any animal tbh) petting my kitten and the voice in my head goes ‘snap it’s neck, crush it’. I’m obviously never going to hurt any animal and it ■■■■■ me up that I would even hear that considering how strongly I love animals. I just ignore it, and I never feel the need to follow through with any intrusive thoughts. (Except maybe run into traffic on occasion, lol)

2 Likes

@valiumprincess, mine are almost identical, and I’m someone who won’t hurt insects. I’ll be holding my cat and suddenly have a vision of myself snapping her spine. My co-person has similar thoughts about hurting her dogs.

She thinks of it as a reminder of how fragile life is, how much power she has, and how much depends on her being careful and loving to her dogs. It helps me to think of it the same way.

1 Like

Thank you for this! It will help me feel less guilty about having horrible thoughts! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I sometimes get stuck on a certain subject with a person and will try to have the same conversation over and over again. I think it’s a part of the disease. I don’t know if I’d call it intrusive thoughts

I had this one intrusive thought earlier that concerns me.
It is the opposite of who I am!

I looked out my window and saw this female jogger, jogging down my street.
She looked out of breath and seemed to be struggling as she kept on jogging st a slow pace.

Automatically a disturbing thought popped in my head.
I pictured myself driving this large old beat up car and running her over with this car!

Very disturbing!

Usually intrusive thoughts induce anxiety

Every time I drive by a semi truck on the highway I have thoughts of driving into its path. I also get the driving over people thoughts.

1 Like

@FatMama This is one of the reasons why I never bothered getting my licence! I get quite impulsive sometimes, suicidal ideation, not to mention I constantly see tall shadow figures running beside the car and sometimes things jumping out in front of the car. Needless to say I’m annoying to have in the passenger seat lol.

1 Like