Do certain piquant smells take you to an other world?

I am, of course, talking about pleasant smells.

Today after lunch I ate a few marshmallows. It’d been a while since I tasted them. And yes, once more I experienced a kind of olfactory overload. Happy thoughts reigned; And momentarily lulled by reminisces and residues of daydreams I thought I had long forgotten, I was in bliss.

Is it the same with you? What kind of fragrant smells affect your sense of smell in an almost miraculous way?

1 Like

I love the Old Spice fragrance. It’s the best I ever smelled.

1 Like

Some flowers give me that bliss feeling. Some perfumes that remind me of people, too. :slight_smile:

Exactly what Marcel Proust thought when he tried madelaines and some authors afterwards called it a sort of memory transgression.
The quote below is from Wikipedia.

In Search of Lost Time (also known as Remembrance of Things Past), author Marcel Proust uses madeleines to contrast involuntary memory with voluntary memory. The latter designates memories retrieved by “intelligence,” that is, memories produced by putting conscious effort into remembering events, people, and places. Proust’s narrator laments that such memories are inevitably partial, and do not bear the “essence” of the past. The most famous instance of involuntary memory by Proust is known as the “episode of the madeleine,” yet there are at least half a dozen other examples in In Search of Lost Time.

No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory – this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. … Whence did it come? What did it mean? How could I seize and apprehend it? … And suddenly the memory revealed itself. The taste was that of the little piece of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray (because on those mornings I did not go out before mass), when I went to say good morning to her in her bedroom, my aunt Léonie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of tea or tisane. The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it. And all from my cup of tea.

— Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

This in turn was referenced by Pet Shop Boys in the track “Memory of the Future” from their 2012 album Elysium, which contains the lyrics:

Over and over again
I keep tasting that sweet madeleine
looking back at my life now and then
asking: if not later then when?

3 Likes

Smell of a roast cooking in the oven, any smells that remind me of my grandparents and mothers cooking.

1 Like

My mother’s scent on her clothing makes me feel so nostalgic. Incense reminds me of my Catholic days when I was a sacristan preparing for Mass. And the smell of coffee perks me up immediately. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was brought up as a Catholic and when the thurifer used to go around it made me so relaxed! Ha ha, good memories.

Yes, I have good Catholic memories too. I converted to Catholicism in 2008 and was Catholic till 2011 when I became Muslim. I don’t regret converting to Islam, but sometimes miss church, as I loved being a sacristan and singing hymns.
Anyway, lets rather not turn this thread into a religious discussion so I will shut up lol! :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.