Do any of you run for excersize?

I want to run again, but I’m having some difficulties with my sciatic nerve. It’s getting better, but I just walk for now.

1 Like

thought it said Exorcist lol,

1 Like

i used to run several times a week before developing sz. i had so much motivation! earlier in the course of the illness i got back to a serious regimen of running. running is not harmful to joints even though it is a high impact activity, especially if your bmi is in low to healthy range. the connective tissue of the joints adapt to the impact and make you much stronger over time, also losing weight through exercise leads to lower loads on the joints in your legs. more circulation to these areas through running also makes them stronger. weight bearing exercises like running are good and indicated for conditions like arthritis, they help you with balance and maintain mobility as well as increasing bone strength/density. running is good for your body basically, as long as you aren’t overweight. if you have concerns about the pounding mix it up with cross training (rowing, cycling, swimming, elliptical). don’t run on cement either, different surfaces have different effects. cement (like the sidewalk which idiots run on) is too hard, while the black asphalt of the road or even the grass is better. the best thing is to vary surfaces and inclines so your legs have some versatility from adapting to different types of impact. just always be careful that its a level surface and that you pay attention to where you’re stepping to avoid misstepping.

if you are very heavy or overweight, like me, it is better to start with low impact cardiovascular exercises. when you lose weight, you can switch over to higher impact. also remember when running to vary your workouts over time, sprinting intervals once a week for example or doing barefoot strides across a grass field can open up your legs after a long workout. haile gebreselassie supposedly did them after every workout, and he was one of the best. sprinting can be easier for a more power based athlete than a long monotonous jog. also remember not to push too hard or log “junk miles” where you run too fast, these wilk just break you down. run slowly enough that you are at your aerobic recovery pace, where you can easily carry out a conversation. after you have built your aerobic base then you can get into different pacing. when starting out you shouldn’t push to where it is painful or you are huffing and puffing. that is a useless workout physiologically, youre basically just breaking down your body and releasing stress hormones which promote inflammation.

2 Likes
2 Likes

dude biking is way more fun… and running is horrible for the knees.

I really don’t care what the jog-a-holics say… they aren’t health oriented if they are willing to just blindly look away from a statement like that.

1 Like

Good luck my South African pal.
Running is a great method of exercising.
For people who are interested in exercise, the methods I have tried so far are:
running outdoors, running on a treadmill, an elliptical trainer with various resistance settings,
an indoor rower and swimming and walking.
You can also ride a bike.
These are some ideas of possible methods of exercise.

2 Likes

also, if you consider sprinting intervals which i used to do way too much, remember that every pace uses different psysiology and energy systems. train smart, not hard. sprinting at full tilt should only be done in competition/races. for workouts you will be doing at the most 85% effort like 3 times a week at the most. sprinting is a power exercise, so it stresses the central nervous system much like lifting extremely heavy weight in quick explosive movements. doing it too consistently at full tilt will literally burn out your cns, though when i was a tiny waif i got away with doing it whenever i wanted. if youre built like a linebacker, you are propelling 200+ lbs of weight over a short to medium distance in a couple of seconds. your cns will rebel and you will vomit or defecate involuntarily if you try and overdo it. sprinting is the perfect workout if you do it smart. you will feel like an effing boss and release hgh burning fat and building muscle. just make sure to do it smart and carefully and in moderation, start small and slow and build up

1 Like

I used to jog slowly for half an hour nonstop. But my knee started feeling pain so now i do cycling on a tredmill for 15 mins. But boy how i lost weight…like 30lbs a month when i was jogging twice a week for 30 mins. 15 mins on a tredmill keeps me in shape.

1 Like

Only if there is a man with a gun.

1 Like

I used to, before I got sick. I loved it. Now I’m so depressed all the time, plus I’m exhausted from having to use my cognitively impaired brain all day at work. I wish I could get back into it though. I know it would make me feel better.

2 Likes

elliptical, bike, swimming only. I am too fat for running. I need to be down to 250 lbs first.

1 Like

I walk/run intermittently for 10 miles every other day. I started in August and so far I’ve lost about 55 lbs!

2 Likes

I am a runner and have been doing it for 14 years almost everyday I’m 28 but since being on anitpsychotics I feel a bit slowed down on them just a little bit. I’m not as fast as I used to be when I was 18 to 21. before getting diagnosed as schizoaffective when I was 22 sometimes my legs would feel heavy like cement from the weight gain from not running. I still love being outdoors though I hate satying inside especially during the cold winter months in Canada.

1 Like

I used to run, till I wrecked my knees. I would really like to try and get back into it, though.
I walk and hike, now. I get very easily addicted to walking though, and I have to take breaks when it starts to take over my life.

I dont run but I like to go mountain biking. good exercise, im forced to pedal up long hills to get to the much enjoyed downhill trails :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.