Schizophrenia.com

Distant look in the eyes

Yeah I noticed that most schizophrenics have this distant vacant look in their eyes.
I’m no exception.

10 Likes

Is that from the SZ, or the medication I wonder :thinking:

4 Likes

Yeah could be the meds.
I’ve got this empty vacant look in my eyes.
Dead fish eyes.

2 Likes

I think it’s the SZ… I had the “vacant look” in extreme when i was not taking AP’s. Then i went on abilify, and got a bit of motion and depth to my staring eyes.

It’s not only the eyes, it’s the facial expression in total. People can get scared or think that you are arrogant, so i taught myself to smile and have some motion in my facial expression.

5 Likes

Yup, when I’m not doing too hot, my fiancée says my eyes glaze over and I get a look.

7 Likes

it’s prob the meds i think… i get it too…

3 Likes

Probably because to tap into the audiotory “listening” that we do we have to lose focus on the visual world. So that’s what we do. Orient the eyes so that all our immediate surroundings are blurry which is similar to what you get if you look in the distance (closer objects become less focused).

Maybe after listening to voices for so long our muscle memory kind just keeps them in that standard position of looking kinda dreamy lol

3 Likes

I don’t hear voices or have auditory hallucinations and I have this dead look in my eyes.

4 Likes

I know what you mean. I had it even when on Abilify and my friends could tell. When my eyes became empty and I look lost my friends would tell me “Did the sz hit you again?” I feel completely emotionless and frozen when it happens. I believe its like a short term catatonia.

2 Likes

bump15554444444

1 Like

Noy just audiotory visual too. Even just thinking q lot would do that. Sort of entering into the minds eye

2 Likes

Sorry @Wave ,I always have music connotation…
Im as well in the vacant stare…

2 Likes

My mind is always occupied with this that or the other.

Work is my main distraction from all of this

2 Likes

Soon you’ll get a puppy,so it will be ok.When I was doing my job,which was creative,most women found that my eyes were shining.

2 Likes

@zoa , @Joker , @bluebutterfly , @Wave , @Smokes , @Ooorgle , @lekkerhondje , @the_fool , @Aziz , @Italy2010 , I’ve noticed that a lot of sz’s, but only when they are badly psychotic, have this wide open stare to their eyes. It’s the paranoid look. I have it when I’m acutely psychotic and so do a lot of people. It goes away when the psychosis goes away though. At least in my experience.

8 Likes

Hi @Joker any tips on getting started in the landscaping business? I don’t know if anybody I could approach yet but I’m interested in it

1 Like

I feel my smile is weird now days I feel I don’t look happy even when I am… I use to look happy now when I see myself in the mirror I see myself but dead eyes and lips that forgot how to smile… It’s weird

1 Like

You could start by something as easy as mowing grass. Idk what your budget is for starting a business or if you have one but if not a great thing to do would be to go down to home Depot buy a cheap lawn mower (gas or electric) and go door to door offering to cut grass for $30 let’s say or whatever. Hit up 4 houses in a day that’s 120 in your pocket pretty much.

If you’re looking for bigger scale you could start with gardening and planting that sort of thing. Idk what your experience is like. I think some people get jobs at landscaping companies work there for a few years then open their own companies after a while. But you could easily specialize in one thing…grass cutting…sprinkler installation…grass restoration and replacement…the world’s your oyster lol

1 Like

I also have the distant look in my eyes. Even when I’m not hearing voices. It’s just the way it is.

2 Likes

Hey

I started working for a landscaper as a labourer, and they gradually taught me how to pave, build fences and do all other hard landscaping things.

Took about 3 years to learn, then I started my own business.

3 Likes