Disorganized symptoms predicted worse functioning outcome in schizophrenia patients with established illness

1 Like

I think I was diagnosed with this kind of sz but now I just say I have schizophrenia and not caterories it as schizophrenia in the new dsm doesn’t subcategories it…yes it has the worst prognosis of all three subcategories of sz

Ι like your profile photo!!The sisyphus myth!!Very close to what we get through!! :+1:

1 Like

Does this mean that now there is no such thing as schizoaffective disorder? Just schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia subtypes have been dumped in the DSM-5 because of their “limited diagnostic stability, low reliability, and poor validity,” according to the APA. (The old DSM-IV had specified the following schizophrenia subtypes: paranoid, disorganized, catatonic, undifferentiated, and residual type.)

The APA also justified the removal of schizophrenia subtypes from the DSM-5 because they didn’t appear to help with providing better targeted treatment, or predicting treatment response.

The APA proposes that clinicians instead use a “dimensional approach to rating severity for the core symptoms of schizophrenia is included in Section III to capture the important heterogeneity in symptom type and severity expressed across individuals with psychotic disorders.” Section III is the new section in the DSM-5 that includes assessments, as well as diagnoses needing further research.

Sza is still a diagnosis in the DSM, but it is a somewhat controversial one.