Discontinuation of Medications (UK Advice Needed)

Am I within my right to instruct a Psychiatrist to stop a medication? Will I be forced to take it?

I am suspicious of coercion

You have the right to stop your meds at your own risks. I did it 3 times and regretted badly because I did suicide and was close to die.

As far as I know, they cannot force you to take it but there are circumstances where they can…It is always worth a discussion… I mean from personal experience, when I have said I wanted to come off a particular med they have helped me to come off it,… but I had to monitor any relapse symptoms and at the first sign I would need to tell them

1 Like

From my experience yes they can force you to take it if you are a danger to yourself or others. As far as I’m aware, otherwise they can’t. UK.

2 Likes

When I stopped my meds my psychiatrist threatened to force me to take them.

You don’t seem stable. Are you that angry that your doctor told you autism level one isn’t much of a thing, so you are quitting medication as a result? That is immature, sorry to be blunt.

1 Like

You have no idea what your talking about

1 Like

The med I want to quit is diazepam

Why are you attacking me for what I posted

If you don’t like a thread ignore it and move on

1 Like

I think your doctor would be happy to help you quit that. But you’d have to taper off it really slowly.

1 Like

You said I have no idea what I was talking about. You attacked me first. But as you wish.

I am not responding to your trolling bye

This is my concern. It’s a long way from 30mg to 0mg and I really want to try and stop it quicker than guidance but not sure if he will go with that.

I am having memory problems and I am pretty sure that’s what is causing it

1 Like

Its bad to stop it without reducing dosage especially since its addictive:

“Benzodiazepine withdrawal is characterized by sleep disturbance, irritability, increased tension and anxiety, panic attacks, hand tremor, shaking, sweating, difficulty with concentration, confusion and cognitive difficulty, memory problems, dry retching and nausea, weight loss, palpitations, headache, muscular pain and stiffness, a host of perceptual changes, hallucinations, seizures, psychosis, and increased risk of suicide”

It can cause psychosis if stopped without reducing dosage.

Are those symptoms of withdrawal dose dependent?

Yes, diazepam is a benzodiazepine which causes dependence making it hard to quit. These are possible symptoms from withdrawal, you might just experience some of them.

“Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome —often abbreviated to benzo withdrawal —is the cluster of signs and symptoms that emerge when a person who has been taking benzodiazepines, either medically or recreationally, and has developed a physical dependence, undergoes dosage reduction or discontinuation. Development of physical dependence and the resulting withdrawal symptoms, some of which may last for years, may result from taking the medication as prescribed.”

The way it is in Oklahoma you can stop your med’s. They can only make you take med’s in the hospital. I don’t recommend it, though. I’ve seen a lot of people mess up doing that.

I don’t recommend quitting your medication. If its financially motivated please appeal to your medical team and avail yourself of the resources they can put you in contact with.