Disclosing Illness to people

Ive often thought id love to be a sz advocate with my music but honestly it seems to me sz is worse beheld than any racism in America. I posted a statistic that approx. 1 in every 100 person has sz and someone responded that it was “creepy” and he thought it was multiple personalities… i explained it to him and he was appreciative of the new knowledge but he was very unaware of any aspect of sz before i explained…

I wish i could show success as sz in music and advocate goodness on our behalf but i am likely out of my league against the prejudice of sz in our world.

https://soundcloud.com/anonymous-schizoaffective

2 Likes

go for it. what have you got to lose?

3 Likes

if you express kindness, which you do…you are a good advocate for sz :heart:
take care :alien:

3 Likes

I always love your music. I’m a spend a lot of time advocating for mental illnesses among my social group, and I fully support the thought of anyone else doing so. You have to open yourself up to a lot of ignorance and you need to be able to patiently and unashamedly answer questions. Oh, the number of times I’ve had someone say, “But you don’t seem crazy at all!” or, “So how many other personalities do you have?” And then I have to explain how DID is a separate disorder, but that folks with DID are equally deserving of respect and compassion, and equally unlikely to be violent or dangerous to anyone except themselves. But you have a lot of patience, and we need more talented voices leading the MI pride parade.

3 Likes

Do you ever name any of your songs?

1 Like

lol. yes my songs have names :slight_smile: the rule of this forum is anonymity so i created an anonymous online avenue to share here :slight_smile:

Ohhh I see. Good thinking!

1 Like

I hope you can, but it is difficult to explain to people who have no prior knowledge of mental illnesses.

1 Like

My husband has schizophrenia and he only discloses to very close friends. He’s only told very few people because of stigma. For some reason, some mental health problems are acceptable to have and others aren’t. This makes no sense to me. The brain is a part of the body. It can also become ill. Oddly enough, I’m married to someone with schizophrenia and I’m also a mental health nurse. I have to ask clients to sign a disclosure form where we can notify people they have been admitted. I encourage them to decline signing without actually saying that. Stigma is too strong.