Digital dementia in the internet generation: excessive screen time during brain development will increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias in adulthood

Digital dementia in the internet generation: excessive screen time during brain development will increase the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias in adulthood - PubMed (nih.gov)

Exessive use of screens appears to be very bad for mental health according to study.

1 Like

It’s not a study. They just state things as facts. I’m not sure this article worries me.

If they had referenced studies that back up their claims that would have been something, but they don’t.

I’d ignore that article.

1 Like

Three of the four scienticsts that released this article has a lot of other studies with their names attached to it. I believe what they are saying, or at least that there is some truth to it.

However whenever I have touched on this subject before on this forum there has been very little response. I guess people don’t like the idea that something that is such a big part of their life may be very unhealthy. I don’t like it myself either.

But it’s societies fault, not the consumer. There’s not a lot of people out there that advocates that screen time is negative. There’s no money in it, and they make a lot of enemies since screen time seems to be the future.

I’m hoping that screens will be replaced with holographic techonology some day for the consumers.

1 Like

Then we’ll probably have some new disorder associated with holograms. “Hologram induced seizures” or some other such problem. :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, they have well proven that blue light from led and smart screens disrupts the circadian rhytm and reduces sleep quality.

Yet whenever I have bought a smart phone no one has ever tried to sell me a blue light filter as a add-on sale. The industry doesen’t want consumers to associate screen technology with anything negative.

1 Like

The authors cite 131 high quality articles, studies, and books to back their claims in the paper. Perhaps you are referring to no citations in the abstract, which is pretty customary. Check out the full article. It’s quite the thought-provoking review of the existing research on the topic.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile: