Didn't get discriminated against

I applied to live on campus for college. They weren’t able to give me a single room unless I filed for a medical exemption. I was really bummed out because I didn’t want to reveal all my medical details. I didn’t really have any other options, didn’t think I would get it because of my diagnoses of schizophrenia and social anxiety disorder.

My psych filled out a lot of paperwork. I waited about two weeks, pretty much gave up hope that I would get it. I mean those are serious disorders. Then I got the email with my approval, and a really nice room in one of the newest dorms all to myself. If it wasn’t for that I wouldn’t have been able to go. Feeling blessed, so thankful to my pysch who explained to them that I wasn’t a risk to anyone or myself.

Discrimination is real, I don’t usually ever tell people about my schizophrenia anymore. Feels good to be welcomed on campus with everyone else, illness or not.

6 Likes

Best of luck with college !

1 Like

Thank you! @everhopeful :pray:

1 Like

I got kicked out of the dorms because I was schizophrenic. I hope they are kinder to you than to me.

This is one of the reasons why I don’t like myself because people don’t like me.

1 Like

I’m really sorry to hear that :frowning: I hope so too. Hopefully I just fly under the radar. I have a plan in place with my psych/family/school just in case.

Nice!

Hope you enjoy your room at school, and best of luck with your studies :sunny:

1 Like

That’s super cool. It’s nice when people pleasantly surprise you. Good luck at school.

1 Like

Good luck to u @thomas x

1 Like

Thank you guys :pray: :pray: :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.