Did you know someone who died in their 30’s or 40’s?

A friend of my mom’s son did. I was friends with him some when I was a kid. He got addicted to crack, and a drug dealer beat him to severely. He died at the hospital. A good lesson on why you shouldn’t do drugs. I dreamed about him the morning he died. Probably a strange coincidence. Another one of my friends was found in a ditch left to die. He survived, joined the Navy when he turned 18, and straightened himself out.

2 Likes

My sister died in her early thirties from cancer.
I had an uncle who died of AIDS. He was in his 40’s I think.
I had a cousin who committed suicide in his early 20’s.

2 Likes

My coworker died at 18y.o. He got hit by a big truck.

2 Likes

One of my best friends died in her early 30’s to cancer. We were all hopeful because she had gone into remission, but then the cancer came back more aggressively. She was a beautiful soul and I miss her always.

5 Likes

My uncle died in his mid 30s from pancreatic cancer. He smoked a lot.

3 Likes

More than my fair share. Most lost to addiction.

1 Like

Thanks @Aziz @Schwann @Bowens. The only one I knew who wasn’t on drugs was my cousin Jason. He has Sz too and shot himself. I don’t think it was accidental as I knew he wasn’t taking his meds. My uncle insists he accidentally shot himself cleaning a gun.

2 Likes

Thanks @velociraptor

one of my first good friends died at age 13 when we were growing up. never understood how or why at such a young age

1 Like

Thanks @cigarino. At least I was a teenager when they found my friend in the ditch.

1 Like

I quit weed and whatever the amphetamines I was using at the time when I was 21.

1 Like

my high school friend was into way heavier drugs than me at the time and when he died I dreamed he got slaughtered by two saber tooth tigers while he was wearing medieval armor. he was taking qualludes and drinking at the same time and his heart stopped…I lost many friends in their thirties too…devin died several years after being severely brain damaged by electrocution…dear friend…another died of a brain tumor they found the day he went to the hospital with excruciating pain from headache.

1 Like

A friend of a friend died when were 18. We had all hung out together for years. He moved away and a year later he was four wheeling in a jeep and the jeep rolled on a hill and he was thrown under it and got crushed to death.
In my twenties I worked with a 21 year old kid who blew his head off with a shotgun.
When I was 17 I knew this guy. He once took four hits of acid and stayed up three days. I think it screwed him up. His father used to beat him; I saw him right after a beating and he was covered with bruises and could hardly move. I lost track of him and then when I was in an AA meeting in my thirties I saw him at a meeting; he was getting sober and had a pretty, young wife and a kid. Next thing I heard was that he had hung himself. It devastated his wife.

I knew another guy a little in a program I was in when I was 21. Web weren’t close but we were friendly. I saw him at meetings too and then it was in the newspaper that he jumped off the top of the four story parking garage at the local college.

I knew a guy in my twenties. Sometimes we were friends, sometimes we were enemies. He once gave me his debit card to buy $75 worth of groceries. I was supposed to go to the store and come right back but I met some people and I took out $250 and I was gone for three days. We were living in the same house and he told me he waited in the living room with his gun for two days waiting to shoot me when I walked in the door. Luckily, he changed his mind. Sometimes we were friends and I lent him my car and he lent me his. I lost track of him when I quit drugs and moved away. Ten years later I was in a day program and an old friend who knew us both happened to join the program and he told me my friend/enemy had killed himself by eating airplane glue.

1 Like

Thanks @jukebox @77nick77 At least some of us survived the drug use.

2 Likes

I think my grandmother on my Father’s side, Edith, was probably in her 40’s when she died in a car accident. I was very young. I don’t really remember what age she was.

2 Likes

Thanks @Rosenthal

I was looking at a body building magazine, and it gave the age at which about a dozen body builders died. I don’t think there were any over 45, and the majority was more like 36 or 37. It must be the steroids.

2 Likes

Thanks @crimby I got a shot of steroids for my bursitis in February for the first time. It greatly helped the pain, but decreased the effectiveness of my AP. I think I would like to get another shot though eventually, as the pain is starting to come back now. Maybe I shouldn’t if what you say is so.

Just reading this has me think about how unconnected I am from people I knew as a kid… the descriptions here really do read quite tragically. I would never know probably whats happened to people as ive not kept ties.

I remember seeing a horror film when much younger about death kind of randomly waiting for each of us - don’t know when it might raise its ugly head… can’t recall the name of the film now. Had me think very differently about Nature. A far throw from romanticism about nature.

My cousin committed suicide as a child.

But I’ve heard of deaths effecting other people mostly - murder, suicide, terminal illness.

Recently, my Yoga teacher committed suicide. It strikes me as a very strange death. Would have not thought it possible knowing him.

Another man who was a student of yoga with bipolar disorder committed suicide recently. Who was also taught by the man above.

A woman I was in hospital with committed suicide. She had chronic pain.

Ive been around plenty who’ve attempted suicide around me or ive tried to prevent from committing suicide at the risk of getting stabbed myself in the process, typically on open hospital wards. Lots of desperate people in pain.

A close relative died of cancer. Awful to witness the pain she went through. Broke my heart. Was very hard to mourne the loss of her dying in that way, as a younger person.

I remember watching an independent film about the war in Syria and looking at a womans life there reuniting with her family after she and her husband had been released as political prisoners after many years of imprisonment, torture, rape.

They say pain, trauma, loss, is relative. Always gives me pause for thought. Suffering can be of an unrecognisable quality and scale of severity. I just won’t ever touch that same sense of loss I imagine that other people go through.

1 Like

Thanks @Nimbus. I’m 63 and probably wouldn’t have been alive now if I hadn’t stopped the drugs. I quit smoking eleven years ago. My last vice is drinking and it’s going to be one year without a drink July 24th.

3 Likes