Schizophrenia.com

Did you ever have a stable job since 1st psychosis?

I was told to let thieves run away once they are outside. I once followed a thief outside, he was aggressive I let him go as I was afraid that he would stab me or something. My boss told me to just let them know if he’s still inside the shop.

1 Like

Just select the text you want to quote by keeping pressing on it.

1 Like

We are told to ring a bell by the till if there’s a chance of a thief.

I was even afraid to do that because the thief knows what’s going on and I feared they’ll come after me.

1 Like

I think I would really enjoy grocery retail a lot! But the thief issue means I am not capable.

1 Like

That doesnt happen I think, they will just run away and wont waste time bothering with you.

1 Like

But it is hard to be sure. Bad things have happened to some shop people.

1 Like

I had a job in the education field as a translator. That job was boring- you just sit on your desk and type words all day.

1 Like

I’ve had a few jobs but nothing over six months… Unsustainable in the very long term
I tried to get well instead in the end

1 Like

In America I had a great job in a bookstore and got promoted etc. I did well in that environment because I was married and actually enjoyed it. It really was a great gig till I left and came home…

Over here though work was a trial. It just became too much and getting on a disability pension worked better. No stress. I still volunteer work and it’s been stable for 15 years or so…I just do a couple of half days a week and it suits me fine.

I think it’s possible to have good work experiences but you need your meds right and you need to have good avenues to deal with stress. That stress gets me and then it’s paranoia and it spirals ever so quickly.

2 Likes

My main job is cook.but İ m working as a school attendant for 4 years.fortunately i will retired in 2 or 3 years and i will return to my cookery career back.i used to work in coffee lounge as a cook in australia adelaide for 2 years.

1 Like

My 1st psychosis I was 16/17

Was on AP’s until about 19

Worked as a landscaper for a few years and learnt the trade.

I then went self employed, and then I studied my degree which sent me into my second episode.

After I held a job down at a company run by my mothers friend, and I had family surround me and support me, and I was also good at my job.

Then the company was sold, and these people left.

I was given a manager who did not understand my issues, and I was gone in 6 months, and had a suicide attempt.

That takes me up to last march

I have gone back to landscaping now, and I do not use my degree or data experiences any longer.

Not sure if doing a degree was a good idea.

I might never have had my second episode had I not had the social and academic stressors trigger me off again, but you never know

2 Likes

i got my first psychotic break back in 2000…i havent been able to work since as the psychosis developed in to schziophrenia…i wish i were stable because a full time job would be a piece of cake compared to sz

1 Like

I have had around 20 jobs since the first episode, none lasting more than 2 years at a time.

1 Like

How do you handle the anhedonia? When I had it really bad, I just felt miserable most of the day and walk around my house. I’ve been doing neurofeedback

The longest I worked since my first psychosis was 6 months. The last time I tried working I only lasted for less than 1 month.

1 Like

i never had a job anymore after my first psychosis… i wanted to go work but the work doctor send me to pdoc and he told me i couldn’t go to work… and things didn’t improve so eventually i was put on disability

1 Like

I haven’t worked full time but part time yes. Mind you this is while I’m in uni full time.

1 Like

Forgot to mention it, both full or part time. Thats good that you did both university and work at the same time.