Did High School Fail you?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

They failed to protect me from beeing bullyed.
Before that the lessons were allright, I learned something but after that I couldn´t care less about learning.

1 Like

High school is designed for the average student. I’m not average.

1 Like

It’s not the high schools fault that I failed miserably at excelling. It was just me

I dropped out to play FPS games. Fault was my lack of foresight. I just wanted to have fun without regard to the future.

I had a twin who did well in life. I nearly failed and it was my fault.

1 Like

I wish they would have taught us some sort of finance classes maybe in high school, but other than that, I was “normal” in high school and had fun.

American education system is a social conditioning system to teach people to be obedient, no life skills or coping skills are taught. Where I went to school teachers came in drunk.

1 Like

Yes absolutely – I dropped out and decided to go work instead …
I have dreams about being 31 years old in highschool …
I wish I graduated and had the feeling of accomplishment with my friends…
At least I got my GED

I attended for four years but I was never really there because I was invisible and didn’t really talk to anybody. I couldn’t really blame my problems on the school or even my fellow students. The teachers tried to teach me and I thought the teachers did their jobs good enough. I did have this woman teacher for English and she would lose her s*it and scream at us often but most teachers were not like that. No one forced me to smoke pot out on the field and then sit through the rest of my classes stoned and burnt out. No one forced me to cut classes or miss whole days all the time. Looking back, I wish more people liked me and I fit in better and talked to people more. I feel, I really missed out on life and wasted my youth in high school. I saw all the happy people and it was just never me.

2 Likes

I completely understand you and feel the same way …

1 Like

Was not designed for my learning style at all, there was no sex ed, no mental health ed, no mental health resources in my southern hs and very limited ones in my northeastern one. Had to wake up super early which goes against the natural teen body clock and promotes sleep deprivation and poor academic performance. (I believe this severe sleep deprivation played a big factor in me having my first major episode) Highschool was by and large a complete waste of time as well as damaging to my mental health.

Highschool took a huge toll on my little brother’s mental health to where he was hospitalized twice and one of my good friends had the same experience. Homeschooling helped them tremendously. My brother doesn’t even need meds or therapy anymore.

I don’t consider my high school to have failed me, even if it wasn’t the greatest environment. I mean, we had security guards to patrol the halls and grounds and break up fights, ffs. Fights were nothing uncommon.

I was pretty much normal and happy freshman year and the start of sophomore year, then depression and psychotic symptoms hit me around the time I turned 15. My remaining time in high school was miserable. I had to repeat 10th grade due to physical illness the first time around; that didn’t help matters any.

I did well academically, but I did terribly socially. Some of the worst years of my life.

School failed me in two main ways, by not addressing depression in youths and making youths aware of it.

Depression is worse then someone offering you drugs.

the rest was just excess stress and no real way out from it.

I hated school.

I wagged a lot and wish I had of started wagging in primary school cause they treated me bad there.

My favourite school was college.
The teachers were best there.
Unfortunately I wagged there too despite the teachers being great there.

In primary school the teachers had disgusting unacceptable behaviour and were bullies and abusive.

If I had children I would not let them go to a “normal school “.

I don’t agree with what they teach.

My child can tell the teacher they go to bathroom but not ask permission.you gotta go you gotta go.power crazed those teachers were.

I never want to go to school again.

In college I enjoyed it sometimes and even got top grades is some subjects.:open_mouth:

If I had the teachers I approve of I could possibly approve to learn something but maybe in a different way n environment and no fellow students.

I don’t seem to go well with many people so to stop me from getting mistreated it may be best I don’t interact as such.

I was bullied when I was in one neighbourhood but that was outside of school.

They were to busy wanting power over me in my younger days and they were jealous of me.
They didn’t care or like me.

I had no confidence back then.

As young in Sweden I had no hopes and dreams.apathy even around the depression and hopeless.

There are different types of schools nowadays.

My mum wanted me to go to a Montessori school but she couldn’t afford it or my stepdad I had said no.

I visited the school and it was vegetarian or vegan meals and a different type of learning where students are not spoken down at but treated with respect and as equals.

1 Like

Bullying: failed me
learning difficulties: If happening nowadays, with what is known, it would be a massive fail. Back then though it was par for the course that if you were of average or above intelligence then you couldn’t have a learning difficulty .

I was a B-C grade student at public school . A school that you had to be at least high average intelligence wise, to go to.

In the last 6 months or so I’ve done several high range verbal IQ tests - 143(99.79) 144(99.83)142(99.74) 149(99.95) 151(99.97) 168(99.9997) are scores I’ve got . Not bad for someone who at public school was regarded as a mediocre student .

I can’t function in crowded learning environments full of noise and motion. I excel when I’m a solitary student. I asked for this option, but was never allowed it. I couldn’t function in the evironments I was placed in and then blamed for the issues that resulted. I fled school as soon as I was legally allowed to do so.

I spent 2/3rds of my high school years in a treatment setting of one kind or another. Once I landed back in public school it took me a week until I freaked out and threw a chair at the teacher because she was an alien trying to teach us to be more alien-like. Not only did I get expelled, my father had a hard time finding a place for me to go. The county we lived in found one for us and it had a ratio of 2 students to 1 teacher. I excelled there and graduated with a pretty good GPA. Doesn’t mean much but it taught me that only I can limit what I can do.

We need mental health information in high schools early for sure. Could make a difference later in life for those who end up with mental illness.