Did antipsychotics make your negative symptoms worse? Poll

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

@LevelJ1 Why did you stop Risperdal and changed to Geodon? Because of negative symptoms or something else?

1 Like

I can’t remember. I was a lot younger too.

1 Like

I decided to switch to geodon because of the longterm side effect profile looked better. I wanted one with less hyperprolactinemia and also neutral on weight gain. So that is why I switched from risperdal to geodon.
Geodon so far has seemed to improve my cognition and focus somehow. its unexpected but welcome. It still has a sedating effect but its not as sedating as risperdal.

1 Like

Without them I was intially going catatonic for extended periods. APs gave me the ability to function and that allowed me to learn to moderate my negative symptoms.

3 Likes

I want to try Geodon but have no psychiatrist. I calculated the equivalent dose for 4mg Risperdal my current AP and its equal to about 120mg Geodon. You have no side effects from Geodon?

1 Like

I am not there yet, now I am between catatonic and functional/able to control negative symptoms. I had catatonia off meds as well but I also had moments with high energy walking from 7am to 6pm.

1 Like

@everhopeful You had negative symptoms even before APs or when off meds? Are you able tobwprk now? I had more energy off meds walking daily 7am to 6pm but I was crazy.

Yes I did…

1 Like

Yea me too but I think meds made it worse for me as off meds I was walking daily for hours, now I stay in bed all day everyday.

1 Like

i think the APs made it worse but i had them before i started APs too but less severe

1 Like

Same for me. 15

Im on 60 to 80mg a day right now and the only side effect i noticed was a few times i got a bit tired when i took 40 or 60mg at once. But other times it didnt make me tired. But its not bad at all.
Yeah it says 120mg is good for sz

1 Like

My medication removes all my symptoms

1 Like

It might work for you, I read the risperidone is structurally similar to ziprasidone. It just depends what your symptoms are like you could go up to the 160mg dose if needed.
The fastest way to get a new pdoc in canada is go to a therapist tell them about sz on the first session and ask them to call a pdoc and get a referral in for you. Thats how I got mine quickly.

going through your doc can take like a year and a half. which is totally rediculous

1 Like

I didn’t have negitive symptoms until I went on invega

I actually remember being the most emotional I ever was in psychosis…it was Awesome.

1 Like

The 1st psych appointment here in Wiltshire it was noted by my stepdaughter that I was emotionally flat . My pdoc said that that could happen with the meds. I have never been an ambitious person . My default mode even pre illness was that of a loner/moderately asocial. I don’t spend ages in bed. Indeed I’m late to bed most days.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.