Did Abilify reduce your urge to drink?

I am/was an alcoholic, and when I switched to Abilify my urge to drink practically went away. You can Google this and there are articles about this. I don’t know with all the side effects of Abilify if they are going to start using it to treat alcoholism.

4 Likes

Great news… I wish it was the same for food.

2 Likes

When I was on abilify I drank a ton! Hmmmm now I don’t drink very much! I’ve never heard that about abilify!

3 Likes

That would be nice too.

1 Like

What are you taking now?

Haldol but I got tired of drinking haldol didn’t make me stop I slowly cut down!

1 Like

I was drinking while on Abilify. Not now on Risperdal.

1 Like

Well I am the opposite. I drank on Risperdal, but practically stoped on Abilify.

1 Like

Abilify made me have many addictions. Shopping, sex, weed, alcohol, etc But its a rare side effect. I think it made me manic.

1 Like

There is a drug called “Topamax” which is supposed to have some success in halting alcoholism.

1 Like

Thanks @Aziz @crimby

1 Like

On invega I can’t really get drunk so I rarely drink at all

1 Like

I know. I just relax when I drink. I really have to drink a lot to get drunk. That’s why I don’t do it anymore. Plus I usually can’t stop myself once I start.

1 Like

I take Naltrexone for my drinking. It doesn’t cut down on cravings (gabapentin for cravings) but it will inhibit that drinker’s buzz so you realize drinking is no longer fun.

3 Likes

That’s good to know. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.