Diagnosis keeps changing, new here, hello.

Hey everybody. My name is Taylor. Live in the UK

So what brings me here is well, I need to vent my feelings and hopefully someone will understand, even in the slightest. My diagnosis is forever changing, I’m not sure if that is a normal thing or not?
My very first diagnosis when I was 18 was bipolar, that quickly changed to Schizoaffective disorder, then to Paranoid schizophrenia, then to Borderline personality disorder, then to Unspecified Schizophrenia with Borderline personality disorder and now this new psychiatrist (who I think doesn’t like me as he keeps being rude, but thankfully he is a locum, and he has only met me once) has changed it to non organic psychosis. I also really struggle with OCD which takes up a lot of my life and severe anxiety.

I am having a really hard time doing well pretty much anything, even writing this is hard and I want to give up. I feel like I can’t do anything anymore because I lack all motivation. I used to love drawing, but now I hate everything because I just have no drive. Its like I have all these things I have to do, mainly paying bills and sorting out my debt but it’s like I just freeze and bury my head in the sand and lack any emotion towards it even though I could be in trouble soon. It’s not that I am being lazy I just feel so drained to even think about doing those things so I ignore it, or with things like hobbies or cleaning, brushing teeth ect I want to do them but I feel like I can’t and get so wound up and frustrated with myself, but I sit alone for hours and hours a day literally staring into space wanting to do things but never actually doing them, then before I know it the day has gone. I take Olanzapine to help with my voices and apparently my delusional/paranoid thinking, It helps a little with my voices not being so loud at night. I also take Ativan 3mg daily for my panic attacks, which I know I need to get off soon as this will be my 3rd year taking them.

Anyway sorry for rambling, I just needed to vent and get other peoples opinions like do you struggle with having no motivation is this “normal” and does other peoples doctors keep changing there diagnosis?

Nice to meet you all. Taylor

11 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Tinytaytay

1 Like

Welcome @Tinytaytay!

1 Like

Welcome! I have a hard time doing the day to day things I have to do. You’re not alone. Others here struggle as well. It’s a good community. Good to have you here.

1 Like

Hi! Mine was always pd. sz. no if’s and’s or doubts about it.

I hope you get regulated with the right meds.

1 Like

Welcome, I have schizophrenia. At first I did really well on my meds then as I got older I became disabled and went to counseling. I learned that I need to keep my life stress free as much as I can. I can’t do too much.

I have to accept that I can’t do things like I used to. I hate it but I feel much better. So maybe you should stop doing so much and try to make your life stress free… Hugs

2 Likes

@Tinytaytay, My diagnosis was always schizoaffective bipolar type. Never changed after the year 1994. It was a few different things before that year though.

Lack of motivation is either from the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, or it could be the symptoms of depression. The difference between the two is to ask yourself if you are sad. If you are sad, you are probably depressed.

2 Likes

Welcome mate. Your apathy sounds like the negative symptoms to me. I personally related to alot of what you said. Amazed they have pissed you about with so many diagnosis - thats out of order.

This is a very supportive community and i hope you stay. Your welcome to pm. x

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Hello & welcome!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and replies, it really means a lot to me!
I think I will ask to see the new psychiatrist when they change over from this locum as they have changed the doctor about 4 times in the last 6 months so its hard to get a consistent relationship with them which is why I think it keeps changing. The ones I see for longer periods all have diagnosed Schizophrenia, so I’ll ask my therapist on the 17th if I can see the doctor. Thank you everyone!

2 Likes

Howdy howdy howdy and welcome to the community.

:blush:

1 Like

Welcome to this site. There are alot of good people here!

1 Like

Nice to meet you @Tinytaytay. I really struggle with OCD as well. Let’s talk about it. It can keep you from doing a lot, too.

1 Like

My diagnosis changed from bipolar to schizoaffective when I started hearing voices. Surely some schizophrenics do not hallucinate, but I feel a great kinship with the ones that do. If I wasn’t hearing voices, the diagnosis probably would have been different.

Welcome to the forum! It is a good place for support. The ‘say anything’ thread is a good place to blow off steam or say something without starting a whole new thread, and there’s a ‘what music are you listening to’ thread up almost all the time which is cool if you fancy yourself an amateur DJ.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I feel. If you have SZ don’t plan on doing too much each day. Stress is a real killer for us.

1 Like

Dealing with issues sense 17, possibly early childhood, diagnosed at 27

1 Like

What is non organic psychosis? Is that similar to drug induced?

1 Like

I am in the UK also. If I was you I’d look at your local NHS Trust’s website and get the contact information for the PALS service who deal with complaints.

You are within your right to complain at your treatment, as a locum of all people shouldn’t be changing a diagnosis. You deserve better treatment and unfortunately all too often is the case that you have to push the services to deal with things properly.

I have contacted PALs before and they are there to help you. What you’re going through is unfair.

1 Like