Schizophrenia.com

Diabetes signs?

One symptom off diabetes is peeing a lot.

You can buy diabetes testing kits at the drug store. Buy the glucose meter, testing strips and finger prickers. Test your sugar when you are not feeling well.

I’ve found very low blood sugar and anxiety attacks have similar symptoms and I have trouble telling them apart. I have to take my sugar level, if it is normal I know its anxiety.

Low blood sugar can include nausea, dizziness, weakness, cold sweats…and in severe cases you can slip into a diabetic coma and die.

2 Likes

I’m diabetic and if I don’t have some carbs with a meal I’ll get real cranky eventually.

Have some carbs throughout the day but try to avoid sugary foods.

1 Like

My A1C in my last blood test was 5.7. Dr said its a bit high.

1 Like

Same for me, I feel irritable if I dont have constant carbs throughout the day.

1 Like

I get similar symptoms as you and have a similar a1c. Mine was from being on seroquel, never had issues until then and I went pre-diabetic

1 Like

I would love 5.7, less than 5.5 is considered normal. My average A1C over the last year has been 6.4 and the doctor was really happy with that. But then again my A1C’s use to be 8 and 9 for years when I was overweight.

1 Like

My last A1C test was over 7.
5.7 probably indicates pre diabetes but you are right on the edge, just a tiny bit higher than normal.

1 Like

Are you taking Metformin? It seems to me I remember a post where you said you were. Are you still? If you are that could explain why you would have low blood sugar on certain days if you had been avoiding carbs especially. Type 2 diabetics don’t usually have LOW blood sugar unless taking medications to lower Blood sugar. But if you are taking meds and avoiding carbs and you don’t even have diabetes yet, I could see how it might drag blood sugar down.

1 Like

A1C is a test that measures blood sugar levels over 2 or 3 months, so even though it was high overall you could have days where it is low if you are taking meds and hence the dizziness.

"Early signs of a low blood sugar level include:

• sweating
  • feeling tired
  • dizziness
  • feeling hungry
  • tingling lips
  • feeling shaky or trembling
  • a fast or pounding heartbeat (palpitations)
  • becoming easily irritated, tearful, anxious or moody
  • turning pale

If a low blood sugar level is not treated, you may get other symptoms, such as:

• weakness
  • blurred vision
  • confusion or difficulty concentrating
  • unusual behaviour, slurred speech or clumsiness (like being drunk)
  • feeling sleepy
  • seizures or fits
  • collapsing or passing out"
1 Like

I stopped the metformin as its giving me stomach pain.

1 Like

Maybe you should consider getting a blood glucose meter. Then we wouldn’t have to guess.

1 Like

This is what I know.

Your pancreas produces the insulin.

If you develop Type 1 diabetes, you develop it usually as a child. It means that your pancreas is developing no insulin at all. So you have to really solely on insulin to live. Usually having type 1 is very difficult because you have to make sure you aren’t getting too much insulin or too little throughout the day depending when you eat, what you eat, how often, etc. people with type 1 will suffer if their blood sugars dip too low too often or go too high depending on how much insulin you’re taking vs. how much you’ve eaten.

If you develop Type 2 diabetes, it means your pancreas does produce insulin, but is unable to keep up with the amount of carbs/sugars you are consuming. So yes you need insulin or metformin or actos to keep those in check. That’s why doctors will recommend before getting on meds, is to eat healthy, maintain a healthy weight and limit your sugars, so that your body can keep up with the natural insulin production. Most type 2 diabetics worry about their sugar levels running too high, with some lows. But once you cut back on your sugar intake, and no longer need insulin meds, then you will no longer need the meds. That’s why life is more hopeful in recovering from type 2 diabetics.

Now I know you a little @Aziz I know you are working hard on your dieting and exercising. Don’t give up on that, because all that will totally lower your a1c and then they won’t put you on insulin pumps, shots meds, etc. I will also say, you shouldn’t cut out carbs completely. That’s what energizes you. So you have to find that right balance. Also, if your body gets used to a certain amount of sugar you put in your system, it will protest for a while, because our body gets used to things being a certain way. So if your sugars are normal, but lower than they usually are, your body will act like you have low blood sugar. My body did that once I cut back on the carbs, and acted like I had low blood sugar.

I agree, though. Get a blood sugar kit at the pharmacy and check your fasting in the morning, two hours after every meal and before bed. I also recommend eating six small meals a day. It will help your sugar levels stay even. Just divide up each three meals you have, into half, and that way you make sure you aren’t overeating.

I’m at that point in my life where I have both type 1 and type 2, with pancreatic enzyme insufficiency. Yah, it’s a barrel of laughs.

If you have more questions about the pancreas I’m happy to share what I know. I’ve gone through some bad years lately, all revolving around my stupid pancreas. It’s become the center of my life now. I’m not really comfortable knowing so much about my organs, cause I know about Egyptian stuff too.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try dividing my big meals. @anon78876561

1 Like

I should also add, talk to your doctor, try not to worry and keep doing the good things you already are. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.