Detailed research paper on catatonia

If anyone want to know catatonia in detail then check this link. Its a comparison between catatonia vs Parkinson as in both the motor symptoms looks almost same and it also explains various symptoms in detail and also how treatment option varies. Its really a rare research paper going this depth.

http://cogprints.org/1129/1/top-down-modulation.htm

I found the answer why my working memory getting worse and worse. Working memory issue was my first symptom I noticed years back.

3.5.4. On-line monitoring

Based on phenomenological observation of posturing (see above) we investigated the ability of on-line monitoring as an essential component of working memory in catatonia since the inability to terminate movements may be related to a deficit in on-line monitoring of the spatial position of movements.

Since both on-line monitoring and active storage/retrieval can be considered as parts of working memory (Petrides 1995, Leary et al. 1999) we investigated working memory with an one-back and two-back task in catatonic patients in FMRI (see Leschinger et al. 2000).

Catatonic patients showed significantly worse performance in both one-back and two-back tasks such that their deficit seems not to be limited to active storage/retrieval. In the latter case one would have expected worse performance in the two-back task only. Instaed catatonia can be characerized by concomittant problems in on-line processing and monitoring accounting for bad performance in the one-back task. Catatonic patients showed significantly decreased activation in right lateral orbitofrontal including ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (i.e. VLPFC) during the working memory task in FMRI compared to psychiatric and healthy controls (Leschinger et al. 2000). In addition catatonic behavioral symptoms correlated significantly with activation in right lateral orbitofrontal cortex whereas motor symptoms showed a significant relationship with right dorsolateral prefrontal activity.

Investigation of working memory in Parkinson´┐Żs did show alteration in lateral prefrontal cortex especially in left dorso-lateral prefrontal cortex (i.e. DLPFC) whereas orbitofrontal cortical function including the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex remained intact (Jahanshahi and Frith 1998).

In summary catatonia can be characterized by major deficits in on-line monitoring and right lateral orbitofrontal i.e. ventrolateral prefrontal cortical (VLPFC) function whereas parkinsonian patients do rather show deficits in left dorso-lateral prefrontal cortical (i.e. DLPFC) function.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.