Depressed just diagnosed diabetic

Hi all . My doctor wants to put me on abilify to stabilise me, but I’m really worried about the effect it will have on my blood sugars and weight loss plan. I am currently eating low carb and have lowered my blood glucose to 5 - 6. I have also lost 10 kg - about a stone.

4 Likes

Abilify isn’t to bad with weight gain from iirc…

Its supposed to be activating.

Olanzapine is bad with sugars, anything ending in Pine…

Good luck though

2 Likes

Did you get diabetes meds?

1 Like

Thanks I was olazapine for years - made me put on 7 stone

1 Like

Yes metformin 500mg for a week then 1000mg next week thereafter. Although I have just stuck to 500mg for time being.
I am feeling very suicidal but will post that elsewhere as this is for medication only.

Hi @Rosey Nice to meet you :slight_smile: I think Abilify should keep away your depression. Be hopeful :sunny:

2 Likes

I try but so hard - have no family but my kids- don’t qualify for state help unless I was on a section 3 - only ever been on section 2- husband ran off 10 years ago

1 Like

What antidepressants are you on besides Abilify?

No meds for antidepressants just sleeping tablets Valium statin and acid reflux

1 Like

You should really think about going on a anti depressant.

How often or when are u going to see your psychiatrist

1 Like

I used to be on 3 Prozac a day b4 brain tumour op. Which kept me stable But made me get steroid induced psychosis and doc said it was cos of Prozac. I upset ppl when in psychosis… never do that when manic… my psych doc discharged me probably upset him somehow?

As I have over 26k in assests ( property) the government will not do a care plan for me … they used to when my daughter was under 18

1 Like

My sister went on metformin and lost a lot of weight.

i just passed a fasting glucose diabetes test and a nonfasting blood sugar test.

I lost a lot of weight too from taking metformin, at first I was on 1000mg and lost 2 stone / 28 pound, then it was reduced to 500mg and I put back on 14 pounds.

1 Like

My blood glucose levels were near normal on Abilify, but I was watching my weight and exercising also.
I’m Diabetic too.