Demons, demons, demons

I agree. And if it bothers people they can just not read the post.

I just found when I talk about delusions when I’m not doing well it only encourages them to talk back or send me new info.

Telling my doctor just does nothing since all they can do is up your dose. No one can talk you out of it. I’ve tried and all the reason in the world will not change a thing.

For me anyway, distraction works. Listen to music when you can’t read or understand TV. Go outside and look at flowers or nature. Pet your cat or dog.

1 Like

Thing is, many many millions of people without mental illness believe in such things, as well. I think that is what makes it’s so tricky for people with mental illness when it comes to these things. It’s not like believing that there are tiny people who live in your walls or that the TV is broadcasting special messages to you. Belief in the supernatural has been very widespread throughout all of humanity’s history and persists to this day in tons of mentally well people. The challenge for people with SZ in this area is distinguishing beliefs that would have been along those lines anyway without mental illness, and beliefs that we have due only to mental illness. It can easily be very complicated.

I guess different people must draw different lines in the sand. Seems that what works best for you is a total hardline approach of not accepting any of it whatsoever. I see parallels between that and addiction, so your strategy very likely has a lot of merit. Not even one drink, not even one puff, not even one unusual thought entertained.

For me personally I consider it a red flag if a belief has to do with being “special” in some way. Special powers, special insight/knowledge, being chosen in some way… things of that nature.

3 Likes

You’re right, of course.

Some part of the brain believes in fairy tales and it’s easy to accept any answer for the hard questions. Maybe, thinking of the dopamine hypothesis, our “sick” brains are more prone to that.

Doesn’t constitute a factor of illness to believe in God, but maybe it does when you’re absolutely positive demons exist because you can sense their presence.

Articulately stated, Turnip!

Jayster

I can see demons too. I saw one enter my ex. I can’t get rid of his voice now and he says awful violent threats. I take antipsychotic, antidepressant SSRI, benzos, and ambien. The best I can do is calm down while he won’t ■■■■.

I’m happy to say all Demons are gone a year later…

I think I was being stressed out by full time work which I gave up in January.

Have a merry Christmas Everyone.

Time can heal old wounds.

2 Likes