Delayed seeking help

After hearing your diagnosis did you leave the psych or did you seek help… I didn’t seek help for about 5 years…

2 Likes

No one told me my diagnosis. I never found out exactly what I was diagnosed with until I saw it on paperwork eventually, I believe.

2 Likes

Wow… yeah that’s good I believe… I wish I had found out that way, but yeah everyone’s journey is different

2 Likes

It took me two years to realise I had sz, then I slowly took time to come to terms with the diagnosis too.

I didn’t accept things till 2023. Eight years after my first symptoms

2 Likes

Yeah after seeking treatment I didn’t accept the diagnosis till 2020… 4 years after being treated by aps

1 Like

I was confused a bit. I got diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome, OCD, Anxiety, Depression, and eventually schizophrenia/schizo-affective disorder. I knew right away something was wrong with me back in 2011. I had a bad reaction to marijuana and probably salvia too. My memory is gone. It said substance induced psychosis on my paperwork. I didn’t realize much later how combative people are or resistant to my Asperger’s Diagnosis. People wouldn’t believe or accept it. It doesn’t matter anymore.

I also smoked marijuana afterwards which triggered or worsened some symptoms…probably self medication.

I had a bad reaction to Adderall in the hospital, which was worse than the marijuana I had, I guess. It took several years on Vraylar to recover, I think…

Honestly, I preferred my Asperger’s Diagnosis over Schizophrenia initially. It was better than undifferentiated or paranoid schizophrenia prognosis and it made a lot of sense to me. Furthermore, I did lack insight because of my Asperger’s diagnosis. I also had severe de-realization and de-personalization and panic attacks, but didn’t really hallucinate or hear voices, but had thought insertion or rumination and denied my ‘voices’ or ‘hallucinations’ if I even had any…

I had Matrix Delusion and severe negative symptoms. The meds didn’t work well in my opinion until 5-6 years later when I found or tried Vraylar. It actually kept me stable and out of the Hospital. I’ve been hospitalized like 15-17 times if we include outpatient over a 12 year span…I don’t plan on ever going back because I’m doing well currently.

I guess you could say I ‘always knew something was wrong with me’ but probably experienced ‘Anosognisia’ early on and intermittently…

The biggest sign was cognitive decline abruptly and initially. I couldn’t focus and zoned out and didn’t do well in college. I dropped out…

My biggest symptom was cognitive decline like dementia like symptoms early on and lack of focus and motivation. It’s important to note that substance induced psychosis from pot can cause or trigger schizophrenia in 30-50% from what I read online. It makes sense.

2 Likes

After my first hospitalization I was denying things. My father knew a psychologist that was a personal friend of his and he wanted to help me. I was really reluctant and refusing it because I thought there was nothing wrong with me and I didn’t want to go to a psychologist. I thought going to a psychologist would just mean there was something wrong with me.

2 Likes

Yeah I had a drug induced psychosis, but sz through genetics said my psych. Yeah didn’t believe I had anything wrong, more depressed.

1 Like

Yeah my parents pushed me to go, dad was going to kick me out, but mum intervened… now it’s way different.

Yeah psych and psychology was seen as having something labeled which took me years to accept.

Now I don’t really care, I guess time heals all wounds!

2 Likes

I got sick in 2011. I got hospitalized a year later on my own to get help. I lost touch with reality. I really didn’t think the (external) world was real anymore. It looked and felt fake 24/7. Sort of like another dimension I was so detached from the outside world lol.

If it matters anymore.

1 Like

It’s crazy, for me I was living the Truman show lol. Even ended up pursuing acting, which I did for about 9 years lol had minor roles but yeah… long story

1 Like

That’s interesting haha. Cool.

1 Like

At first I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder as a teen, but it was changed to sza later on. Actually, getting the secondary diagnosis of borderline personality disorder (mostly cuz of self harm behaviors) was harder to accept cuz there’s even more stigma with that diagnosis than with the sza diagnosis. A lot of clinicians, even, stigmatize BPD and they make you feel like you have a defect in your character. With sza, they just treat you as if you have a garden variety illness.

2 Likes

I walked away from major depression and seeing a shrink because weed was better for me than antidepressants.

Bit me in the ass as the weed increasingly led to problems with paranoia and such and even at the end it probably was stress that did me in as the weed I was smoking was just leaf…

So. It was inevitable I hit the system with psychosis I think anyways. I don’t lose sleep about it because it was all out of my control. I was just trying to live.

2 Likes

I’m sure you have some interesting stories as well ! :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s tricky finding what it wrong initially, and who to treat it! True true

Yeah depression was the more obvious diagnosis for me, but I got second opinion def sz (disorganized)

Weed is a gateway drug right, to sz? lol

1 Like

Yeah for most sz folk it is but there’s always people who do ok on it. I wish I could because it slowed down my racing thoughts and I had some good years in between. I still have friends who smoke weed but it’s like booze. Doesn’t work for me but it’s cool to catch up. Jealous a little bit but I’ve moved on so it’s not a drama.

1 Like

Yeah I dabbled a bit afterwards, but to see whether it was actually drugs that I can’t handle and proved my theory right, now I don’t do anything, well tapering off the drink!

Probably against the grain but I don’t think I was addicted to anything just did it cause of peer pressure

1 Like

Back with the diagnosis I lost friends, job, diagnosed with sz… hit rock bottom, but parents were there for me! Really grateful for them, I think they don’t like me, but love me

1 Like