Death must be great

A whole lot of nothing. You are truly at peace when you die. There aren’t no more bad days. No pain; no stress; no nothing.

7 Likes

If there’s truly nothing, there would be no pleasure, or no consciousness either.

I don’t believe in that, for the record. I believe in the theory of biocentrism, in that a person’s consciousness can never appear to stop, even after death.

1 Like

I too believe we go on.

1 Like

What happens to an ant that you step on it? It dies and ceases to be. Why would you think humans are any different? If there is a heaven for people wouldn’t there be a heaven for all living things?

1 Like

I think nothing is preferable to religious alternatives.

No not great! 1515characters

I think a lot of szs’ fears of relaxing is due to thinking that if we relaxed, we’d slip into death. Same with “falling” asleep.

1 Like

I’m all for euthanasia in many cases, but in moments of desperation (many, many moments over the years) I’ve battled suicidal ideation and self-harm. I would have absolutely opted for assisted suicide any of those times, because I would think it was ok if someone was helping me… but I would have missed the good moments, and there are good moments.
I look forward to death because my faith tells me it’s awesome, and I still struggle with having to stay here, but for those reasons I wouldn’t want assisted suicide to be legal for sz. Because we have hopeless moments and they pass… I don’t want anyone to consider themselves as sz’s or anyone else to consider people with sz as disposable.

2 Likes

When I first got sick at age 19 was psychotic for every minute of every day for about two years straight. I was severely ill as most of us have experienced. I was suicidal a lot and if there was assisted suicide I think I was a good candidate and I think the doctors I knew would have jumped on board and agreed. But…things change and I am so glad I am still here at age 57 because I would have missed out on so much fun.

I thought I was pretty hopeless but three years after I got diagnosed I started to get stable. I started slowly getting better in increments. I must admit, sometimes it was, “One step forward and two steps back.” But so what? I was busy doing fun things and I made a couple of friends, I got a job, I enrolled in college.
Here’s stuff I’ve done with my disease: (not in chronological order)

I’ve flown across the country coast to coast three times.

I was best man at my dads wedding in Las Vegas. .As best man, I stood up in front of basically twenty strangers while my dad said his vows and I held the ring. Later that night the reception was held in a hotel room and as best man, I made the toast in front of everybody.

I’ve been to several comedy clubs

I went water-skiing for the first time

I’ve been camping a couple of times

I’ve eaten in too many restaurants to count

I’ve been to bachelor parties, birthday parties,

I’ve been to the beach

I’ve been to an air show

I’ve dated a little

I used to regularly catch the Amtrak train to visit my dad 190 miles away.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. But I would have missed out on all that if I took my life. I’m so thankful that I never attempted suicide.
No one could have predicted I would do all this stuff. I just took my medication, saw the doctors, went through the day programs and vocational programs and things turned out alright. This is why you don’t give up and you just keep plugging away. Don’t let a few bad years define your life. Things get better when you least suspect it. Good luck.

5 Likes

that is a very bleak outlook, i prefer a different approach to death and the afterlife but i realise that i need to wait my turn like everybody else and when it comes i will hopefully be grateful for my life and happy about what i have achieved, it may also be a relief in a way esp if i am old, they say that when you die you are restored and i really like this approach as it gives me some hope even after death.

1 Like

No family. No friends. No photography. No music. No belly rubs for kitty.

NO TACOS.

I’m in no hurry for that!

:blush:

2 Likes

Sz is really hard to live with. Maybe our downs are worse than a lot of people. I am personally a prisoner of hope. Would you take nothingness over eternal bliss though? Id choose etenal bliss even if it made my life harder down here, but for me it has made life better. Hope seems to make everything better, you know? Thats just my veiw on it.

1 Like

I don’t want to die, but I’m ready for it when it comes, I look at as well deserved rest for a long hard life of labor and disappointment

2 Likes

The thing is, if when you die you disappear into nothing, you won’t be there to experience being without pains or fears. You won’t know.
Death is pointless.

1 Like