Schizophrenia.com

Dealing with recent diagnosis

Hello all! I have been diagnosed with Schizophrenia about two months ago. Since then it has been really hard to function. I initially heard voices and was admitted to a mental hospital. I was only there for two and a half days. Since I got out and started going to therapy it has been hard to function.

It is really difficult for me to cook and clean. When I try doing it my head feels like it is going to explode. Doing dishes is like performing brain surgery. I also can’t enjoy things that I usually like to enjoy. Talking with others is hard as well. It is really difficult for me to even write what I want to say here.

Does anyone else have an unnerving feeling all the time. Like you are bored, but you don’t want to do anything except sleep? It is getting tiresome. I want to be the person I was before getting diagnosed.

1 Like

Did they start you on any medication after you were diagnosed? When I was put on Zyprexa, it wiped me out and made me feel very similar to what you describe, plus my memory was terrible, it sucked. If so you might not be on the right med for you, or you might still be adjusting. Do you have a pdoc you can talk to about it? Or can you talk to the therapist?

I know how you feel. I hate it when that happens, because it makes one feel useless but we ought to remember that it seldom defines us. Sometimes, to avoid such, I try to get myself into doing something before I hit that flat state-such as random crafts(leather craft, wood working, art), exercise, or anything else remotely enjoyable.

It is really hard to deal with but this form is a good place for support. I welcome you here and wish you the best of luck! See you around.

What you are describing sounds like the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. Avolition - no motivation. Anhedonia - no pleasure in doing things.

2 Likes

Yes I feel like this, not so much the sleep though. It’s an awful way to spend the day. The sleeping might be a side effect of medicine.

I make a list of things that I like doing and have to do (like housework tasks) and I keep that list visible so when I say to myself I am bored I have to go to that list and do something from it. It can be hard work.

2 Likes

I can relate, especially to the not knowing how to talk to people anymore. How long before u noticed these symptoms?

I think…meds doing this? What medication did you get? Some meds make me have fudge in my brain. I have Abilify and Seroquel now. I hear voices BUT my brain works! Maybe I can’t have it all. No voices and functioning brain.

I don’t think that’s a good choice. I will just make you miserable. Try to deal with what you currently are.
And since you’re in early phase of treatment see if you can consult a cognitive behavioral therapist.

1 Like

After my psychotic break I couldn’t do anything, everything was a hard task. I was having post-psychotic depression, and eventually it lifted and now I’m back to functionality.

It’s all very recent, give it time.

Good luck!

1 Like

I tried making a list, but when I try and do something on that list I feel bogged down by something. I am currently taking Respridone and Zoloft. It has been about a month with feeling like this.

it’s hard to go back to the person you were before diagnosis. Especially with negative symptoms either due to the illness or meds. My meds make me tired, so does the illness. I just don’t feel like doing anything anymore. So i’m trying to exercise and trying sarcosine.

Maybe try going back to the hospital. It took the doctors four tries and several weeks before they found a good combo for me. This may sound odd but depakote, which is an anticonvulsant, worked wonders for me.

I’m on risperidone too and it sucks, but I had an allergic reaction to seroquel so I’m too afraid to try any other antipsychotics.

I am going to the doctor tomorrow and I am hoping that they will put me on something that will work a little bit better. This morning is rough again. It gets so tiresome.