Dealing with psychosis

I’m not sure how it works for you all, but for me, I go through brief periods of what I believe to be psychosis, where everything around me doesn’t feel real and I’m seeing things like there’s a thick fog in the room with a tense presence of something that may be watching me or some other stuff. Y’all probably understand, but one thing I’ve noticed the most is… whenever I get like this, I usually find myself alone. (Don’t get me wrong, in public it’s a whole nother story). I was just wondering what all your thoughts are on dealing with something like this if you’re not looking for a trip to the hospital/psych ward. I tend to be seconds from or actually dialing 911 and sadly I’ve had multiple experiences where I said I didn’t want to go to the hospital and they said they couldn’t help, not even a suggestion beyond that. What are your thoughts??

Do a blood oath with Satan. He’s a pretty chill guy.

Can’t say I haven’t tried that but… debatable :joy:

1 Like

You don’t have to be put on a ward if you aren’t at risk to others/yourself. So as long as you seem in control of yourself you can get help without being put on a ward.
Instead of calling the emergency services - do you have any contacts like a Pdoc or a GP that you can contact?

1 Like

Hmmm, kinda. If I were to mention anything to my “psychiatrist” (is that what Pdoc means?) he would most likely change my meds which I hate going through (new side effects)

Sure but if you don’t want to deal with the psychosis that’s what I would do.
They may also just increase the dose.

Having these symptoms can be tough. What really helps me is knowing I have a strong will. I know I always am able to do what I want even when symptoms are really bad. I know it can be scary and really bad sometimes but I try to focus on what I really want to do. Plus I am basically a renegade so I’m always trying to act in spite of the way I feel or think others want me to feel (in this case, others is delusions and hallucinations).

1 Like

I struggle with what seems to me the same kind of problem. Specifically, I start rants and experience delusions when it’s “appropriate”, that is basically when I am secluded or otherwise covered. I often blabber nonsense to myself involuntarily, but I have easier time controlling my voice on the streets, for example.

I have no solution. What I found helpful is repeatedly telling myself that all of those “experiences” are me trying to delude myself out of reality. Basically escapist tactic, same as alcohol or drugs. Alcohol and drugs are harmful. So is self-delusion. Maybe one can overcome “addiction to delusion” through willpower.

1 Like

Ah so I’m not as unusual as I thought, I as well have spurt out jumbles of nonsense to myself without control, what I find intriguing about it is that it seems natural to me. Like my mind is talking to something I can’t communicate to, or, I’m just asking nonsense for no reason. I like to think the latter personally.

Sadly I am taking the highest dose of vraylar, so I’m unsure if that would be an option.

I do my best to practice grounding exercises and reality testing

Are you familiar with the term “derealization” at all? It is when the world around you seems distorted in an unrealistic way. Do you think this is what you are describing? It is an overlap of psychosis and anxiety, and it is common in trauma survivors. Grounding exercises can help.

Some things I do to calm down are:

Put an ice pack on the back of your head. This will cool down your brain and reduce activity in your limbic system, where emotions happen.

Do a task with simple, clear steps. I like baking. I follow the recipe, and it’s easy enough that I don’t get frustrated, but it requires enough concentration that I don’t have room to think about other things. Cleaning also helps.

Engage your five senses. This will remind you what is real and what isn’t. Listen to soothing music. Smell something pleasant, like an essential oil. Suck on a hard candy. Look at pictures of things you enjoy. Feel something with an interesting texture, like a piece of Velcro or a stress ball.

Try to levitate something with your mind. You obviously won’t succeed, but it gets you to focus all of your attention on a single point outside your body, instead of on your thoughts. I like to use this on airplanes or in public places, because it doesn’t require you to move at all. It looks like you’re just daydreaming to observers.

2 Likes

I picked up backing too. Did so for half a year already. I never improved. I still often feel teeth-shattering rage, even when I am cooking. I often end up with burns and scratches that way. It didn’t help me as a grounding exercise at all.

Regardless, it is something to try. It might just work for you.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.