Dealing with good but stressful things

So, at work, I recently got promoted, and now I’m in charge of a whole bunch of things. It’s awesome, and I really feel like I’m doing good things for my organization, but it’s also so much responsibility. Before, if I wanted to take a day or two off, it was no big deal. Now, I need to keep my phone on even on the weekends, because I’m expected to respond within the hour to every important message.

I have had to learn how to do several new things, because I always assumed somebody else was already taking care of them, but once I was promoted I realized nobody was actually doing it, and it was all up to me.

I also have to take frequent business trips, which are exciting and engaging, but also leave me kind of exhausted. And I miss Mr. Star when I’m gone.

Does anyone have tips on how to handle a heavy workload without feeling overwhelmed or burnt out? Im doing well so far, but I want to find a better balance of work and home life. So far, I’ve just been pushing off visiting my family and friends, but I don’t want to become the person who works constantly and has no personal life again. I used to live that way, and it wasn’t very healthy.

1 Like

I’m probably the worst person to give advice to this topic, but I’ll take a crack at it. Do you have underlings or peers you can delegate tasks to? Although thta’s probably a bad idea if you want to stand out they may reconsider elevating you. Still, building a repoire with your coworkers and getting them to work as a team with you may help you in your work and lighten the load?

1 Like

I have a great team, and they’re awesome about sharing tasks. It’s just, there are so many tasks, and not enough funding to hire as many people as we need to actually handle it all. So we are all working tons of overtime. It’s really a dream job, and exactly what I want to be doing with my life. I just don’t know how to balance everything properly.

1 Like

Hey as I read your post I couldn’t help but remember this thing I heard once where when someone gets promoted it’s actually the organization saying : here’s more responsibility, work for us more
Sorry if this is kinda a bummer, but I feel like if you get promoted and have more responsibility and stress and are excepted to be available on weekends and so on then u should be awarded too with different things to make up for that. Usually a promotion entails a lot more responsibility while only slightly increasing your pay.
So I guess what I’m saying is that I don’t have any advice other than this slightly pesemistic look on corporate life…

I wish u all the best and good luck
In ur job!

3 Likes

Oh, I’m being compensated quite nicely for my time. I definitely feel appreciated and valued as an employee, and have no ill feelings towards my company or anyone working in it.

3 Likes

That’s good. When I worked a corporate job I had a hard time identifying and engaging with the corporation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s not corporate. I work for a tiny company in the mental health field. I used to be in direct care, but now I have a more administrative role.

3 Likes

I don’t know how you do it @Ninjastar.
More power to you!

I would never survive right now.
Especially the business trip part.

2 Likes

Oh that’s pretty close to what I did, but it was a big company and the pay was not so good :frowning:
Anyway good luck n all the best 2 ya…!

1 Like

My mother’s tactic was to refuse promotion which was her way to keep her stress level moderate.
I think delegation is the key.

I have a tip as I used to be in your shoes. As much as possible, leave your work at home when you go home each day. Don’t think or talk about work when you are at home.

1 Like

I used to work hard and play hard but I don’t have the energy for that any more. If I work a full day now I come home fix and eat dinner and then take a shower and go to bed. The spousal unit is not happy because I don’t have any time for her.

I have to sleep ten to twelve hours a day now where I used to get by on five or six.

How much free time do you have after you’ve worked a full day?

I work from home, usually. So it’s not like I can just leave work at the office. I would guess I have about three hours totally free from work before bed, and I usually make dinner, snuggle with Mr. Star, and catch up here. I was able to get work to stop messaging me during the night by putting my phone in airplane mode before bed. The thing is, I don’t necessarily want to do less work. I like what I’m doing, and it brings me joy. I guess I just wish there was magically five or six more hours in the day so I could also hang out with my friends, visit family members, and spend some time relaxing.

2 Likes

I’m making an executive decision. My phone will be turned off this weekend, and I will relax and spend quality time with my husband. Work can survive without me for two days.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.