Day treatment and clubhouses?

How much time commitment is it and how are they in quality/usefulness? I’m considering stalling on going back to school and work. Still suffering from problems with motivation and attention and school and work might be too hard…

No idea about them but worth a look at least…

About hanging off from school and work I think that is a great idea. After psychosis I was basically encouraged to go back to work and I wasn’t ready. I made some stupid decisions when I should have been just dealing with getting well and not trying to do everything like work as well.

One of my big mistakes was going back way too early, before I was dealing with the practicalities of long sleep and meds. I know I don’t work nowadays…but that is the one thing I’d do differently.

I would have taken my time and gotten as well as I could have!

1 Like

I have gone to day treatments but never a clubhouse. I would think that most day treatments are different. I would think that most of them will encourage socializing. I don’t know how much socializing but the two I was in, ten years apart, had breaks to rest and talk, and support groups and classes. These were both pretty informal programs. I don’t know if there’s a number of days or times to go that is universal but I used to commit myself to go three o four days a week. I never set a date to end the day treatment, I just attended until my life changed and I had to move or I got a job and I didn’t need it anymore.

Thinking back the way they helped me was having that structure in my life. It got me out of the house three days a week. At that point, I was living with my dad but he was gone to work all day and I was in the middle of a relapse, and I had no daytime activities except going to the day treatment.

Instead of sitting home all day ruminating I went to the day treatments and it got me around people several days a week. If I wasn’t relapsing, I would say I had fun. We played games, we went on walks, we baked food. We had art classes. All this was very informal.

1 Like

Where I am in eastern Oklahoma the only day treatment and clubhouses I have seen were affiliated with assisted living for the mentally ill places. From what I’ve seen, the quality of these places varies. I saw one where day treatment lasted until 4:00 pm. I left that place after spending two hours there because I could not sit still while I was on Prolixin, and at one of their classes this woman was very strong in wanting me to sit still. I arrived in that place at about 3:00 pm, and I hit the road at about 5:00 pm. Where I am now day treatment lasts from 8:00 am to 2:30 pm. We have a few groups during the day. It’s all right. They have internet computers available to us from after lunch until we leave.

1 Like

They are very good if you want to meet other people with a MI and doing some activities to fill your day.

I can think of two disadvantages:

1. Daily Schedule is pretty long and it starts early in the morning.

2. Activities are targeted at fairly low functioning individuals(don’t know about clubhouses), therefore a normie or some high functioning person would find them very boring.

1 Like

Thanks! You’ve been giving me a lot of helpful advice lately. So I looked into day treatment here in my state and they advertised a lot of reviews that say it’s a really good program that helped them with recovery. I think recovery oriented strategy is the way to go. Instead of doing the document scanning job, I think I’ll do two classes plus this day treatment program and just reapply for disability in the mean time. Working would disqualify me for disability and it’s only a 3 month part time job!

1 Like

Yeah good plan. Take it at your time and leave yourself some choices. My biggest problem was I ended up having no choice. Glad to help out!

1 Like

I went to a clubhouse and liked it. They pick you up in the morning and bring you home in the afternoon if you have Medicaid. You can come and go as you please though if you have your own transportation.

Sigh. Not to bring this thread up again but I talked to my case worker and they brought in someone from legal aid who said I probably won’t qualify for disability at this rate. All signs point that I’m improving from the last time. :frowning:

A lot of the people at the club house would be lower functioning than you. I don’t know if you would find that an issue. Good luck.

As for the disability, if you are permanently disabled and cannot work and have a diagnosis of SZ or SZA, you should get a lawyer if denied.

But if you’re stable and can work or do school, do that.

2 Likes

Thanks you’re a nice person. I toured the clubhouse today and noticed the people were mostly much lower functioning. I can relate to some of them pretty well, but feel it is more motivating to be around people who have less severe symptoms. Hey, they’re motivated enough to cook and do computer work and attend and that’s inspiring. Our day treatment program here has great reviews though so maybe that would be good to do. I need to practice tasks that require concentration.

1 Like

When I went to the clubhouse I found a lot of people were heavily medicated so they seemed really low functioning. But if you talk to them you realize it’s not that bad. I enjoyed the clubhouse.

1 Like