Day 1 of Project "Phasing Out Smoking"

Okay, so I’m allowing myself up to two Black & Mild cigars per day for the first week. For those unfamiliar with Black & Milds, they’re about the size of cigarillos, not big stogies. I smoked half of one with my morning coffee, and half an hour ago I smoked the rest of it with my afternoon coffee. I figure I’ll smoke half of the other with my evening coffee, then finish it just before bed. After a week, the plan is to cut down to just one of those per day for a week, then eliminate smoke completely.

I bought a box of nicotine gum yesterday. I’ve used three pieces so far, figure on using a piece in about an hour or so.

I need to do this, desperately need to get off of nicotine altogether. I figure this is my ticket out of the ghetto. I need to move when my lease runs out in August, and quitting will free up money for a security deposit, among other things. I’m tired of burning up so much money every day, been smoking around $6-10 worth of cigarettes per day and it needs to stop.

I figure the more people I tell about doing this, the more motivated I will be to stick to it, rather than embarrass myself by giving up, like I usually do.

4 Likes

Cigarettes are sneaky. I switched to ecigs. They’re much cheaper. And healthier. The problem with ecigs is that the cheaper vape pens seem to be useless. You’ve got to go upmarket before you can quit.

I found nicotine lozenges to be superior to gum when I was trying that route.

Best of luck in quitting.

1 Like

Good luck!
We here to support you in this and great goal and when a friend did give up it was the money saved!

She ended up going to the keys on a trip with the money saved so maybe getting a saving goal? If you use ten bucks a day on smokes so 280 month.

And wow like 3400 a year 0-o

Edited for math

1 Like

I’ve never tried the lozenges, may have to check them out. I bought a box of 100 pieces of gum, and I want to wait until that is mostly gone before buying anything else. The gum seems to be doing okay for me so far, but we’ll see. I figure that box should last me at least a week, though probably closer to 10 days.

1 Like

Yep, I could be living much better with the money I would save by quitting. Money is definitely the driving force in this for me.

1 Like

My General Practitioner was a real help to me. For one thing, he gave me lozenges that my insurance covered.

I’m free of nicotine for about two and half years now.

Jayster

2 Likes

I don’t have insurance, but the box of 100 pieces cost me just under $40 out the door, so even if I use 10 pieces/day to start (I figure I’ll use less than that), I’m still saving money over the 20-30 cigs/day I’ve been going through. The Black & Milds are $1 each.

That’s awesome that you’ve been free and clear of nicotine for so long. I actually quit at 21 years old, only to go back to it at 24, one of the dumbest moves I’ve ever made.

Nicotine Addiction is a real thing!

Sounds like a solid plan, good luck!
I quit smoking cold-turkey, and it was hell. Your plan sounds better. I know you can do it!

1 Like

Yeah, I quit cold turkey in 2001 and, you’re right, it is hell. I found it became easier around the two week mark, the physical withdrawals stopped, but yeah I’m not going through that again.

1 Like

Yes, and I couldn’t have any hot beverages, because they were too triggering, so I was going through caffeine withdrawl, too. :confounded:
It took me two tries, and going through withdrawls twice. Not ever doing that again… Not as bad as med withdrawl, though.

Hey, roll your own. It is a smidge healthier and much cheaper.

Nah, I’m better off just quitting altogether :slight_smile:. I tried stuffing my own, still have a half-full bag of tobacco that I plan on giving away. They don’t taste anywhere near as good as Marlboros, plus they burn kinda fast.

Even though money is what’s driving me to quit, I do have to consider the effects on my lungs and heart, as well. I’m not getting any younger; at 37 years old, I’m not that far off from being in the danger zone for a heart attack if I keep this up.

2 Likes

Well you did it once already so you can do it again for sure…the hell that comes with the withdrawal is completely worth it in my opinion to be done with cigarettes. I quit about two years ago and it was very difficult but I’m so happy that I did it because I never have to feel the feeling of withdrawaling from a ■■■■■■■ cigarette again!

3 Likes