Day 1: cbd for anxiety with my psych meds

I took my psych meds as normally today but instead of reaching for thc when my anxiety showed up. I reached for a cbd tincture.

Absolutely NO anxiety

Absolutely no cravings.

Seems cbd is a better medicine for anxiety than thc. Due to not being intoxicating.

Although thc was necessary for me for a while.

Time to switch into cbd now

Ps I ran out of thc and forfeited my med card to my parents so today was a no brainer :brain: but still nice to feel ok still

1 Like

I’ve read more than 1 article that says if you are on a medication in which you should avoid grapefruit then you should also avoid CBD. If not it is probably harmless, and if it helps that’s great.

Do your psych meds require you to avoid grapefruit?

2 Likes

Nope I’m not any meds that require me to avoid grapefruit fortunately, considering how delicious I find them :yum:

Except for abilify. You have to avoid grapefruit with abilify.

1 Like

Same with Lurasidone(Latuda), you have to avoid grapefruit on that med too. That is what I am on right now.

2 Likes

That’s odd since I eat grapefruits all the time and no ones ever told me about this ever.

This doesn’t list any antipsychotics

Google said there’s an interaction but not to be avoided

Do you have a link??

1 Like

An interaction between Aripiprazole and Grapefruit juice is possible, but they may be used together. Grapefruit juice may change the amount of Aripiprazole in the blood. If you drink Grapefruit juice regularly, do not change how often or how much grapefruit juice you drink until you talk to your health care provider.

abilify or aripiprazole Food, Alcohol, Supplements and Drug Interactions.

2 Likes

The problem is that grapefruit binds to the same enzyme called CYP3A4 in the liver that is used to process these medications. If the enzyme is bound to the grapefruit it can’t process your medication. That can cause an increase of the medication in your blood stream and in extreme cases causes serious illness and even death.

Here is an article: Grapefruit Can Dramatically Increase Medication Potency

CBD binds to this enzyme too, that is why you should avoid it.

I couldn’t drink grapefruit juice when I was taking seroquel if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

I knew about grapefruit (I don’t eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice), but the FDA article also mentions certain oranges and tangerines (didn’t know that).

I’ve been drinking lemonade for decades and never had a problem (to my knowledge).

1 Like

That’s negligent on the part of your health care team, but not surprising. My doctor never told me to eat food with Latuda which is a requirement, I only came across that information while reading about it online once it was prescribed to me.

My prescription bottles have had stickers put on them that say to avoid grapefruit.

1 Like

I was wondering about that. Mine doesn’t say it. Just to avoid alcohol and a few other stuff.

2 Likes

Here is a pic from my prescription bottle:

1 Like