Daughter just told me she is noncompliant with meds

Hello, all. My daughter was diagnosed in 2012 with paranoid schizophrenia at age 22. She has been compliant with her meds, (Zyprexa), and sees the psychiatrist monthly. At least, I thought she was compliant, until she told me this week that she only takes them when she feels the need. I am devastated. I don’t know how or what to say to her to help her realize she needs to take her meds whether she feels like it or not. She doesn’t like the side effects, the sleeping and weight gain. She says she has told her psych this , but the doctor doesn’t do anything. I will be going with her to her next doctor’s appointment to make sure the lines of communication are not being crossed, but I need to know how to help her without making her feel under attack or hostile towards me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, @April. I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Ninjastar
Volunteer Moderator

3 Likes