Dating apps

Schizophrenia sucks. I try to be honest with girls that I match with and make the mistake of talking about it before we meet. I just feel like im hiding something. A weeks worth of talking i get excited she is just being curious about it then boom dropped. My mom says i need to just say i have a disability and we can talk about it when we know each other better. My dad says i should attend the nami online meetings so i find someone who truly understands. So frustrating my therapist got me doing this online dating and im just failing, any advice?

6 Likes

Tell them after 3 dates. Then see how it goes

4 Likes

I would wait to tell them until you feel like they know how you are and what kind of person you are. That way they won’t be immediately afraid of you. Then you might have a chance at it.

Meeting someone through NAMI, or Clubhouse International isn’t a bad idea. I’d try that too

4 Likes

I agree with this. Let them see who you are, your personality, your interests, etc. You could simply say you have a disability, at first, and then tell them about your Sz after you’ve really gotten to know each other.

4 Likes

Awesome you guys some great advice ill give it a try

4 Likes

Really? I didn’t realize therapist got involved in that part of our personal lives

1 Like

I dated my wife for a few weeks and then had The Conversation. Told her I really liked her and wanted to keep seeing her, but figured I’d empty the skeletons out of my closet right away so that we could end things amicably and without heartache if any of them were dealbreakers for her. That included my history of substance abuse and my bankruptcy as well as my SZ. We’ve been married for nearly 23 years now so nothing I shared was a deal-breaker.

13 Likes

@Cragger yeah i had a pdoc who like basically micro managed my life for about ten years. I didnt like how she thought she knew me better than myself. She kept telling me to break up with girlfriends i had.

3 Likes

Wow, that seems over the line. I can see them expressing an opinion, but to try to tell you what to do seems very controlling and inappropriate. We’re all free to make our own choices, and even our own mistakes

3 Likes

@Cragger yeah her reason for telling me to break up was she believed i should not date people who also have mental illnesses

2 Likes

Mines nothing like that shes awesome. Just trying to help me out if i said no she would listen to me and she actually hasnt brought it up in awhile but her advice did start me down the online dating path

3 Likes

I don’t know man, if they had a mental illness as well, as long as you’re both managing, you are ideally suited to understand each other. That’s the way it seems to me anyway

2 Likes

A therapist saying that sort of thing, the micromanagement, is over the line. My therapist gives suggestions and lets me talk out my ideas to solutions.

3 Likes

I know there are some disability dating apps but I’m to afraid to put myself out there.

2 Likes

I didnt know about these kinds of dating apps thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I’ve tried dating websites a few times , and believe typically they don’t work for us with sz. Probably better to go to a Nami meeting like aforementioned

2 Likes

I wish we had NAMI meetings we don’t have any meetings where I’m from.

1 Like

My Nami meetings are all on Zoom now. You can pretty much go to anyone you want to.

3 Likes

Same with AA for me. It’s wonderful.

1 Like

I’m sorry if this sounds cold, but dating sites generally don’t work for unemployed males who live with their parents. It doesn’t really matter why you’re in that spot, just that you are. Women are generally looking for someone who is a partner, not someone who is a dependent.

Yes, I met my wife online and successfully dated her as a med-compliant SZ, but I was also working full-time as a tech at a local community college and running a part-time business on the side as well. And I was very stable at the time (still am).

I think the safer bet is to volunteer and meet women IRL who will have a better opportunity to get to know you and perhaps get past the living and health situation. It’s harder to turn someone down in person than to ghost them online.

Apologies for being depressing.

3 Likes