Current (but not ex) cigarette smoking is associated with worse cognitive performances in schizophrenia: results from the FACE-SZ cohort

3 Likes

“(but not ex)”

Good to know that I should be smarter now.

Edit: Less cognitively impaired anyway. Smarter may not be the right word.

3 Likes

I’ve never smoked, but still worry about the increased risk of dementia that we have… It’s not the whole reason- but it is a part reason why I do the tests I do ,including things like Slobrain.

2 Likes

When i was vaping i couldnt get anything done. It caused like instant nausea and body heaviness and tingling. Id have to lay down everytime i vaped and as soon as i felt good enough to get up without feeling sick id go right back to the vape and repeat the same process. My life is so much better without nicotine.

1 Like

Just as some reassurance: Just considering your age and the high level of mental acuity that you still seem to have, I would suspect that you are one of the ones that will probably live your whole life out without it. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

I worry about that too, especially because dementia runs in my family as does sz

I dont smoke though

I’m a terrible worry wart. As far as I know there’s no history of dementia in my family. In that reaction speed/standard deviation test I posted, where most people are at least 2.5 decades younger than me , I stack up very well.

1 Like

My uncle, who had schizophrenia, used to smoke a lot. Probably to ease the effects of the drugs.

1 Like

High premorbid iq and higher income in ex smokers then never-smokers that random. Also isn’t nicotine improving cognition one of the theories behind the high incidence of smoking in sz

1 Like

Very interesting, i just stopped taking “snus” tobacco pouches - it’s the strongest way to ingest nicotine and i have got a hell of a craving right now.

1 Like

I chew tobacco so i guess im good. The counselor told me today that im doing incredibly well for someone who has schizophrenia

Maybe someday i will be able to to say the same thing. I smoke cigarettes.

1 Like

I’m coming up on 15 years as an ex smoker

@Bowens does this mean you quit for good?

1 Like

As far as I can tell. It’s been a little over a month. I have had 3 cigarettes in that time, I think. And those cigarettes were weeks ago…

1 Like

Awesome! Keep going. It only gets easier. Eventually you won’t even think about it anymore.

1 Like

Thanks @LordHeadspark

1 Like