Crashing hard

I’m at a loss here. After starting a ketogenic diet I weaned off of 100mg of Loxapine and lowered my Geodon from 160mg to 80mg. I did great for a while, then three days ago things started to go bad. I was having scary things happen like seeing shadow demons in my apartment and the walls started breathing(no idea if this makes sense or not) I also got some auditory voices telling me nasty things. I got suicidal for a little bit but that passed and I’m no longer suicidal, but I’m getting all these things happening to me.

I really don’t want to go to the hospital because it would mean missed work, getting behind in school, and having to figure out what to do with my dog. I also fear if I go to the hospital they will put me back on high doses of APs. I don’t want to go back on my meds but I’m scared of what’s happening right now. I’m so disappointed I thought the ketogenic diet was going to solve these issues

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think a diet is going to help much with Sz/SzA.

4 Likes

Can you clarify — were you hoping that being on ketogenic diet would mean you do not need medication for sz/sza?

3 Likes

you prob just need to take ur meds again. if ur working a job, going to school why not just take ur meds again? hospital doesnt seem like it would be required. do u have ur med? how long have u been off? i quit mine all the time and when things get crazy again i take them again.

1 Like

Please don’t stop psychiatric meds without talking with your pdoc about it first.

It never goes well.

4 Likes

Get back on your meds asap.

They’ll take some time to build up in your body again and might not work straight away as a result.

Get some proper medical advice also. You may need something fast acting like haldol until your regular meds kick in. I’ve no idea.

Who or what gave you the impression that a keto diet is a substitute for meds?

4 Likes

I don’t know much about keto, but it takes a very long time and is complicated to do. I think one expert I listened to, said at least 1 year of doing keto to wean off medication or go lower. It sounds like you just started, but I don’t know. I wouldn’t risk it.

Just to be clear.

No matter how long you are on a keto diet , you can’t wean off medication.

3 Likes

You really need to get back on meds.

Before I was on meds, I thought Satan was visiting me and demanding I worship him.

Went away immediately with the high enough dose of meds.

Why suffer needlessly?!

1 Like

As @everhopeful said, you should go back on your meds as soon as possible. It’s going to take time for them to get back in your system so the longer you wait, the longer you’re going to experience symptoms and it could get a lot worse before it gets better.

2 Likes

Some people have claimed that the keto diet cured their sz but it has not been scientifically proven. However both the diet and psych medications as prescribed by doctor together have some success although it’s been somewhat temporary.

You really need to call your doctor. If you are cognizant that you are sliding best to call your medical team first thing tomorrow before you get worse and end up in the hospital.

1 Like

For the love of God, ketogenic diet is not stand alone treatment for schizophrenia.
:pensive:

5 Likes

This is to everyone here, not just @Hanna_Foxx . Do not start a keto diet without consulting your doc and do not reduce medication thinking that you dont need as much without consulting your pdoc.

7 Likes

Yeah I get it. It’s not really about diet. It’s more about doing things like diet and medication changes without consulting a doctor. It’s a bad choice to make but so many do it.

3 Likes

There is a reason why a bunch of a certain doctor’s contemporaries think he is a quack for suggesting keto fixes everything. It does not. It helps (for some people), but it is one of many things that helps. So do meds.

3 Likes

I was on a keto diet for less than a month years ago

Although it helped my moods a bit, it was temporary

Please get back on your meds ASAP

1 Like

Yeah we aren’t here to make you feel bad. When you posted with your update, you seemed you were doing okay.

A lot of people think “I feel okay so I must not need this dosage anymore”. But usually it means you found the right dosage and mixture for you. Changing it will only make you unstable again.

Social influencers are super dangerous to believe. Unless it’s someone with credentials they really can’t be believed. I urge you to talk to your doctors and a registered dietician. Dieticians are highly trained and skilled with finding you the right diet that fits your need. I think you said you have POTS? Keto is sometimes hard on that disorder, too. You just need to talk to your doctors.

Hugs. Hope you feel better soon. :heart: @Hanna_Foxx

7 Likes

I was hoping I’d at least be able to decrease my medication with the diet. I’ve been following living well with schizophrenia on Instagram and she was able to really decrease her medications. Things went fine at first I just don’t get why things are going badly now

1 Like

I went a year on reduced meds without going fully psychotic without the keto diet. Sometimes it just takes time for it to catch up with you.

It took me months to recover.

1 Like

My Pdoc helped me wean off of Loxapine slowly. We started weaning off of it before I started the keto diet because I was having so many side effects from it. I do have Haldol on hand. After speaking with the crisis team yesterday I took a single dose of Haldol which helped but it’s so sedating for like two days after I take it. I still have all my old meds. My case worker and Pdoc are out of the office all this week

5 Likes