Coworker commented on my paranoia

I was training a lady today. We’re housekeepers, so the job isn’t that difficult or stressful, at least in theory. Throughout the day, I was being my normal self, only I had someone to talk to about it. I expressed how I thought people were judging me if I didn’t do things just so. I told here how I felt like people were watching me all the time, and then finally, I made mention of some coworkers whispering and how anxious it made me. The lady said to me, “You’re very paranoid, you know?”

It didn’t occur to me how bad it really was until it was witnessed by someone else. I know I’m paranoid. That’s true enough. I didn’t realize, though, that it was affecting every interaction I had with anyone.

Anyone had their crazy pointed out to them by a relative stranger?

10 Likes

YEAH i think someone told me I am paranoid. I need to embrace my dark side to move on.

That’s not a professional opinion. :blush: People often use buzzwords that they don’t understand. You may very well be paranoid, but she doesn’t really know that. By saying “you’re really paranoid”, I think she just meant you shouldn’t worry so much…? She doesn’t have actual knowledge regarding paranoia.

You don’t know what she has knowledge of lol.

Yes. I used to work on a mental health ward as a ward clerk (reception). Patients were acute and most psychotic.

None of my co-workers knew about my illness. BUT…

As I filled a glass of water for a patient (he was dx schiz) he stared at my hand and asked me… are you on something ? Like medicine cos my hand was shaking

That was like him being able to see “I’m one of them”.

3 Likes

Probably just coincidence. Patients in a mental health ward don’t even know what kind of sickness they have let alone what others might have.

Possibly… but I’ll go with what I thought. It felt pretty weird and insightful being behind the desk working with mental health pros who didn’t have a clue about me …

As I was handing in my resignation , one nurse told me he understands as patients can be dangerous and one attacked him with a knife. Would he say that if he knew? It wasn’t why I resigned but ok :confused:

Sorry I gone off topic … but I have been pointed out several times that I “Look scared”. I might not feel I’m anxious … I’m probably so used to it i don’t notice.

Omg is 1:30 am :confused::confused::confused::confused:

1 Like

The best ( Staff) folks I’ve ever delt with in the psych hospitals were the one’s that were the least normal. A lot of it was, they weren’t afraid to be near, or talk to those of “Us” in there.

1 Like

Working behind the desk of a mental ward can be risky as there are certain rooms for patients who are moderate to severe in their mental state.

I was told that patient confidentiality gives nurses and mental health professionals strict guidelines on how to behave in a doctor-patient setting.

1 Like

I don’t know how to send a message to discobot.

Oh yeah, I sure have. Through out my life.

what was the tone of her voice? High pitched and laughy or low-tone and quiet?

She sounded flat, like she was making a statement. I also think she was concerned for me.

@catchme what is your gut telling ya?

I think a lot of new terms were invented a long time after I got sick in 1980. Maybe I just never heard them because this was before the internet. I never heard of negative symptoms or positive symptoms for instance until just ten years ago. But anyways in about 1997 I was in an AA meeting and there was a guy there who had paranoid schizophrenia and he was open about it in meetings, in fact he always announced it when he shared and made jokes about it. He was really funny. I never told anyone that I had paranoid schizophrenia but this guy knew. But he never told anyone.

But in one meeting that guy just walked up to me and said, “You think you broadcast your thoughts don’t you”? I had never heard that term before but I instantly knew what he meant. It freaked me out because no one ever pointed out a symptom to me before (just my family mainly) . But it didn’t really phase me and I took it in stride and nothing in my life changed. I still have that delusion but it does not affect my life at all. No one else points it out and I give it very little thought.

Anyways, as a footnote, a common term in the eighties was manic-depressive.

2 Likes

@anon80629714 I can spot someone with the illness right away most of the time. I tend to be observant of every little gesture people make. I’ve had friends disclose their schizophrenia recently and I told them I already knew. Of course they asked why and I told them because I struggle with it myself.

2 Likes

Just trying to put it in perspective. I stand by what I wrote. People use words that they don’t know the real meaning of all the time.

1 Like

Most people can tell when someone else has a mental illness…There is something about their eyes or their manner which reveals their anguish or mental distress. We can’t hide this aspect from ourselves or others because if we could pdocs wouldn’t be able to dignose patients. Just a thought…