Schizophrenia.com

Cool quotes and discussions

" So change the situation by taking action or by speaking out if necessary or possible; leave the situation or accept it. All else is madness .” ― Eckhart Tolle

As uncomfortable as accepting negative situations are, what else can you do? The sooner I truly accept my situation the more peace I will have. Fighting it is a futility and causes deep unhappiness.

What do you think?

2 Likes

I think I’ll go for madness. As for your question, you could argue that fortitude, as it was understood by the stoics, is the one truly philosophical virtue.

2 Likes

I suppose I should take a look around where I am. :smiley:

1 Like

I read ‘Happy’ by Derren Brown ( the illusionist) and he talked about the stoics in that.

Can you elaborate on the stoic quality of fortitude for me? :slight_smile:

1 Like

andreia (fortitude/courage)
"This is one of the simpler virtues. It clearly means courage, although the Stoics also extend it to include endurance of pain and discomfort more generally. It’s the opposite of the vice of “cowardice”. It appears to form a pair with the virtue of moderation. Both refer to the master of passions: moderation to desires and courage to fears. Hence, they probably correlate also with Epictetus’ famous slogan: endure and renounce. The virtue of courage allows us to endure fear and the virtue of moderation to renounce unhealthy desires.

What do the Stoic Virtues Mean? – Donald Robertson.

1 Like

Sorry I failed to engage earlier, I was… Well, I can’t really say without getting chastised. As for private moral philosophy Seneca is my man.

1 Like

Yes you are right, the law a acceptance and least effort

1 Like