Cooking... I think I've got it

It takes me a while because my mind really does blank out when I open the pantry. I stand there for a while and then just give up because I don’t know what to do with all the stuff my sis has in there.

For cooking lately, she’ll lay stuff out on a cookie tray and then I’m only looking at a few items and not a big cupboard of stuff.

this was the first time I chose the menu and did it. Yeah, the timer did help.

1 Like

That is really the ENTIRE secret to cooking, imho! If the kitchen becomes a disaster zone, the food is likely to reflect it - I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your meal!

1 Like

I dabble in some cooking too. I like to cook different pasta dishes. I bet your cooking tastes great J !

1 Like

Do they teach cooking in OT in America. Here in the UK i tried a cooking course twice as an inpatient. Both times it was a disaster as they got angry with me because i was slow with a potato peeler( am left handed) and thought i was being uncooperative . Basically the group of us went shopping for the ingredients for a main course and dessert and then each of us(4) would have to do a part of the preparation.

Wow, hadn’t seen this. I made pasta on Sunday, except I was out of chicken so I made Salmon meatballs out of salmon, wheat flour,oatmeal, egg, parsley, onions, and garlic… kinda a seafood pasta…
My sauce was out of a can… but I add stuff to it like basil and garlic powder…

1 Like

I got kicked out of cooking classes too. :smiley:

The thing is they chose stuff to cook that would have really stretched the budget if you were single and living off benefits.

This is my problem, it just looks like stuff, not food.

1 Like

I am so hungry now! I saw pasta and cheese and all I could think about was this one time I made home made mac and cheese. I want it so bad now.

I didn’t learn how to cook at all during OT. I’m just learning now. It’s been a struggle for me because I used to leave burners on, and forget what I was doing and mix the wrong stuff together. My sis had me start the slow cooker thing because it’s OK if I forget and leave it on. It’s won’t start a fire.

Plus my sis has been cooking for a really long time and I didn’t even think of cooking until recently.

This is a new project just started this last year for me.

I have 2 slow cookers- small and large. Haven’t been used much as i tended to end up with a watery quite tasteless gravy(i like mine quite thick) but an online friend gave me the following tip.

No problem, make sure it tastes how you like it (stock cubes, herbs, spices etc), then about 15 minutes before you want to eat, mix a heaped desertspoon of CORNFLOUR into a little cold water (about 2 spoonfuls), to make a thinning paste, pour paste into slow cooker stirring all the time, it should thicken the gravy immediately

Also to tenderise meat:

Another cooks trick, to make sure you have tender meat, use beer (the really cheap stuff from supermarket is fine) to make up the liquid. You can use any alcohol with same effect!

1 Like