Constantly being corrected can be hard to take

The mistake I made as a teacher was too much correcting and not letting some things go by at least until later. I got that tendency from both my mother and my grandmother. Nothing got past them and they felt called upon to comment on the slightest imperfections. It all made me feel very unloved and insecure.

3 Likes

I still find it tough!

I got found out with my volunteer job this week. Stuffed up some things whilst busy. I tend to rush in and do things in the now and not think of the consequences. Got some harsh criticism but I got through it.

I agree it hurts to be corrected but sometimes it’s something to make you not do it again. Still. Appreciate your point. Some people can be overbearing!

4 Likes

I think I don’t respond well to criticism, but prefer when people add suggestions about how to be or do something better, improve in the future… What is the term? Thought blocked yet again.

Are you looking for the word “advice”?

Constructive criticism is ok but if it’s constant it just tears people down.

3 Likes

About a decade ago I saw a mental health worker who was supposed to help me with my anxiety and low self esteem . She spent most of the time criticising me. That did wonders for my self esteem - NOT !

4 Likes

I know a few people who are very sensitive to criticism. They are so vulnerable and they are suffering. I cannot offer any advice at all to them. But really all of us feel some resistance to criticism. So I decided to be very hesitant to criticize.

1 Like

Learning something you’re unfamiliar with can be a fairly arduous process. It should be made as easy as possible, but at some point you’re going to have to start pushing. I agree that there is no need to belittle the child, though.

Yes, when I was working, I was always being reprimanded and/or corrected. It was pure hell. Now, on my volunteer job, it’s the same story. Only this time, it’s always in front of a lot of other people. Which makes it embarrassing as well as hell. Things never change.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.