Considering new meds

This is how a mind feels when its bipolar (or at least I do)

1 Like

Ok lets say Im Bipolar and that I have been misdiagnosed by idiots. What helps people with Bipolar calm down when they’re manic other than Abilify or what if 10mgs Abilify just wont cut it anymore? …

1 Like

5-HTP and sertraline worked for me (to calm my mania).

Benzos did not work.

-Albert.

1 Like

You need a mood stabilizer if you’re bipolar. Something like lamictal or lithium keeps your mood swings within a much smaller range, so to speak. Your mania wouldn’t be as bad.

2 Likes

@schizornot I take 5-HTP myself, and it helps a great deal with mood. Unlike medications I have been on for depression, it carries no side effects for me

1 Like

You have to be careful to keep yourself hydrated when you’re on lithium, because the dose required to be effective is close to the dose where it becomes toxic.

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

There’s a lot of research and information out there about the benefits of low dose lithium.

(And I’m on Lamictal, anyway, so it’s not a concern for me.)

But, yes, on a high dose of lithium you need to stay hydrated. It’s a salt.

1 Like

I guess I am behind the times. I got that from very old literature.

1 Like

No, it’s definitely true.

There’s just info out there, too, about the effects of low dose. I guess, like any other psych med, it depends on the patient. We all react so differently on all of these meds.

2 Likes

@G_B if you have bipolar or have strong bipolar tendencies then you really need to be on a mood stabilizer, @Pandy is correct.

If you want further information about all matters regarding bipolar disorder you can PM me anytime.

I’ve lived with bipolar disorder for over 40 years.

1 Like

thanks @Wave I dont think i can PM you though it says your profile is hidden…

1 Like

I thought I changed it already.
Hmm… I think I fixed it now @G_B

Does it still say my profile is hidden?

1 Like

Its public now! thanks

1 Like

Have you tried OTC lithium? Lithium Orotate? Is it as effective? I’m thinking maybe I’ll just get some vitamins first and add those instead of toying with what Im already prescribed that is mostly working…

1 Like

No I’ve never tried lithium. Maybe someone else could tell their experiences of it

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.