Coming out as MI

Since May is Mental Illness awareness month I’m thinking about creating a post for social media (all I do is Instagram) “coming out” as living with schizophrenia. I’m pretty locked up and no one really knows except those closest to me. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

2 Likes

I’ve really thought about doing this on Facebook, but I’m not sure. I have a lot of people I’m “friends” with, and most of them I wouldn’t want to know about my MI. But I like the idea of “coming out” as schizophrenic – maybe it’d help someone else, or reduce the stigma.

I don’t really have any advice, just thought I’d share that I think it’s a cool idea.

2 Likes

No thanks, this is a private personal tragedy in my life.

4 Likes

Are these people your friends? on instagram i mean

1 Like

I’m pretty open with it now. It’s good for people to see we’re just regular people that just happen to have some issues.

1 Like

Most of them are. Really the few I interact with already know. More of a symbolic thing.

1 Like

Really bad idea.

It’s not everyone’s business.

Honestly it’s no one’s business and most people don’t give a ■■■■ whether you are mentally ill or not.

The less people I would have involved in being sick the better. The trend in this county right now is to get a big team involved like a kind of it takes a village thing. But really this is not a village so it should be a personal issue with as few people involved as possible.

I don’t know if anyone made you a thread or not but just noticed your cake.

Happy birthday @onepercentoff !

1 Like

I talk freely about my book about schizophrenia on my facebook feed…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.