Coming off amitriptyline

I met with my doctor two weeks ago, and we decided to start weaning me off the amitriptyline, and sticking just to Geodon. According to a new study, Geodon can be effective for migraine management on its own, so we are going to test that theory. So far it has been going amazingly, in all aspects except one.

My body is very used to receiving heavy sedatives every night. Now, I’m down to 40 mg and it is difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep. But I’m not tired during the day, so it’s not terrible. I think I am slowly reverting back to how I was before medication, when I would sleep maybe six hours a night and be fine.

4 Likes

That’s a good thing, it sounds like. Is there a downside to getting less sleep and being okay with it? I know I sleep a lot and it can be mildly therapeutic if I am stressed.

I was on amitriptyline for a while a long time ago. I took it under the brand name “Elavil”. It helped me sleep. For about six months I pretty much slept on a normal schedule - 9:00 pm to 6:00 am. Then it stopped working and they took me off it. I’ve heard that sometimes it can restore sleep cycles.

It will be a good thing once I’m used to it again. But it’s still new now, and I keep worrying I won’t be able to function in the morning.