Cognitive Deficits of Ones Own

Cognitive Deficits.pdf (143.5 KB) I wonder about my own cognitive deficits. My intellect seems to be intact. My attention I know is bad. Working memory seems to be missing pretty badly. I can also see I have impaired social functioning-esp that. I wonder how much of these deficits are caused by having the SZ and how much they are caused by my advanced age. I have never had psychological testing for cognitive deficits. Have any of you had psychological testing for cognitive deficits?

2 Likes

I’ve never had such testing.

I must say I have noticed my attention is fairly poor though. I have noticed this more since starting back at work on full days. I need to take a lot of breaks.

I have impaired social functioning but then I don’t think I ever was highly functioning in social aspects. I’ve always been rather shy and not very outgoing.

I don’t know how much I can attribute to schizophrenia or just personality.

1 Like

I think it is good for us to identify the symptoms. Label them and forget them.

I have never had psychological testing for cognitive deficits. But I am happy finally to know that I have pseudohallucination.

1 Like

I have never been officially tested for cognitive deficits but know from my own research that I have areas of cognitive difficulty. For example verbal intelligence is significantly greater than non verbal/spatial intelligence,executive functioning is not good and information processing/mental speed is on the slow side.
I am guessing due to my long term problems with social interaction and reported very poor social skills that my social functioning leaves a lot to be desired.

1 Like

@martinhersey1

I have been tested several times in my life. I failed miserably. The problem I see with cognitive testing on sz people is the testing itself.

When voices, paranoia and other symptoms are highly active, test results would show differently than when controlled or dulled. Problem with sz - stress increases symptoms. There is no way to accurately test cognitive functioning unless tested without the sz knowing the test in in play and when knowing.

2 Likes

I was part of a trial for an experimental medication to treat sz until about a year ago. Started two years ago and lasted for a year. Part of the whole thing was that I’d do cognitive tests on several occasions of evaluation. Will get some results soon, when it’s been a year and they will have done a final follow-up evaluation. I do think that I will only get to see how I myself improved or declined throughout these two years. No comparison with others I think, and also, there will be no comparison with myself pre-sz, for I did not do these kinds of tests back then. So it hardly can be a test for cognitive deficits, since I think it is fair to ask, deficit as compared to what/when/who?

3 Likes

You could say that of anyone NB performance anxiety. I am not sure though that the stress of doing a test would exacerbate symptoms much. What is true is that some people do better when put under pressure and others do worse . I think it comes down to having an optimum level of dopamine ie not too little and not too much.
Certainly when symptomatic you would expect people to perform worse but I think cognitiive deficits are trait rather than state dependent ie if present they will occur irrespective of whether symptomatic or not.

2 Likes

I agree, what would count as an accurate test if not some cognitive task? Yes it comes with stress, and perhaps increased symptoms, but if a fair test would amount to one in which no symptoms of SZ are present, then why test at all and not just copy the result of your average neurotypical on the form

I totally agree. However the issue is testing cognitive function. There currently is no way to test cognitive ability irrespective of sz symptoms. Outside the realm of psychology, tests usually have a standardized deviation or a substitution for the unknown deviant. Within the world of psychology, the actual rational make-up is still undetermined and with too many variables to quantify a standard deviation or substitution.
Cognitive function testing is relative only to the individual and the symptoms they have or have not at the time of the test. Therefore a one test fits all will never apply.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Level of performance may be state related but the actual presence of cognitive deficits is trait related. As @flybottle says if you are only going to test people with sz when not symptomatic then why test them at all? The ideal is to test when symptomatic and when not to see how much is state dependant and how much trait. As cognitive difficulties are the greatest pointers to occupational and social functioning it is important those things are explored in the hope that measures to reduce the effects can be put in place.

1 Like

@firemonkey @flybottle
Have you ever had a vision therapy evaluation? If so, have other members in your family?

In my family, maternal side, there are several members who have been diagnosed sz or with sz traits. Even members who were not diagnosed but who agreed to be part of testing showed visual abnormalities in tracking, perception, and other visual processes. It seems these traits are passed genetically and are more impaired in those with sz and children of sz parent/s.

It really is an amazing area of focus regarding the trait versus state. There are vision therapists throughout the US that work with sz families. We have been lucky to be a part of trials. Both my children suffer from variant form of visual dysfunction, one more severe than the other. Vision therapy has help with retraining their brain so to speak to improve their visual dysfunction especially in tracking and motion discrimination. It is amazing.

2 Likes

here is one similar to what I was discussing
Trait vs State Markers for Schizophrenia

I can speed on like you ahead of the crowd or just seem so stupid and idiotic I can’t understand anything.

1 Like