Coffee and schizophrenia

What is your opinion on caffeine and treatment?

I still drinking a lot of coffee and I’m thinking that is hindering my mental health, making me more anxious and more hallucinations, but how to stop drinking coffee? And all sleep during the day?

Please help…

Try caffeine free coffee. Or try change it to tea in the afternoon/evening.

1 Like

I drink a ton of coffee, and I think it actually helps me stay focused on what is really happening and ignore hallucinations. If you think it’s hurting you though, maybe try switching to half-caf at first, and then decaf. It has been shown that 100-200 mg of caffeine is actually beneficial to the brain, and levels over that are where problems start to arise. From Wikipedia:

Risk of disease
Coffee consumption is associated with a lower overall risk of cancer.[53] This is primarily due to a decrease in the risks of hepatocellular and endometrial cancer, but it may also have a modest effect on colorectal cancer.[54] There does not appear to be a significant protective effect against other types of cancers, and heavy coffee consumption may increase the risk of bladder cancer.[54] A protective effect of caffeine against Alzheimer’s disease is possible, but the evidence is inconclusive.[55][56][57] Moderate coffee consumption may decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease,[12] and it may somewhat reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.[58] Drinking four or more cups of coffee per day does not affect the risk of hypertension compared to drinking little or no coffee. However those who drink 1–3 cups per day may be at a slightly increased risk.[59] Caffeine increases intraocular pressure in those with glaucoma but does not appear to affect normal individuals.[60] It may protect people from liver cirrhosis.[61] There is no evidence that coffee stunts a child’s growth.[62] Caffeine may increase the effectiveness of some medications including ones used to treat headaches.[63] Caffeine may lessen the severity of acute mountain sickness if taken a few hours prior to attaining a high altitude.[64]