Chinese rocket expected to crash into Earth this weekend | CNN Politics

4 Likes

Im watching the news and they say its supposed to fall in Africa land or water, they’re not 100% sure but they dont expect it to fall on populated areas.

1 Like

Remind me to never buy a rocket from China.

4 Likes

I want this to be done and over. The thing is though it may already have crashed into the sea and we could still be looking in the sky for it for who knows how long.

2 Likes

I think they’re tracking it somehow

3 Likes

Got a feeling it will crash in Los Angeles. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

There needs to be much clearer legislation to govern activities in space. I’m not sure if it is legislated or not, but there is a general agreement not to ever militarize space. China concerns me. That’s all I’ll say

Also, regarding space junk Left Behind from human activity, there was a story on the news a few nights ago talking about the possibility of damage to the International Space Station. Apparently a piece of space debris about the size of a chip of paint, could punch a hole through its side. It just goes to show how much damage can be done by the debris Left Behind from space activity

Weird times, man

2 Likes

The way my luck goes, it will probably hit my apartment building downtown.

4 Likes

Chinese rocket’s chaotic fall to Earth highlights problem of space junk (msn.com)

it is difficult to predict where it will land and when and how much material might hit the ground – or if it could knock a plane out of the sky.

“The big problem in space is not big debris, but when big debris breaks up and becomes small debris,” Auburn said. “A one-centimetre fragment can destroy your spacecraft and it’s traveling so fast you don’t know it’s there from the ground. We don’t want a disaster, so it’s very important that governments build into licences requirements that old and broken stuff is brought back down.”

3 Likes

Anybody seen that Simpsons episode where Homer discovers a comet and it burns up before it hits Springfield ?

Let’s hope this rocket dissolves in our atmosphere.

:rocket:

2 Likes

Western news media is making the discarded rocket crash bigger than it really is. Chinese news media has no reporting of this on their news stations.

1 Like

why is the crash uncontrolled, why would that be allowed? is this an accidental happening?

1 Like

Like many large objects in space, debris burns up in the earth’s atmosphere. The only reason US media is making this discarded rocket a big topic is because China launched its core module for a Chinese space station. There were no applause for that achievement and only criticism for the discarded rocket.

1 Like

oh i see. do you know if rocket entries into the earths atmosphere are usually controlled? or not.

in the sense of controlled where they land, roughly.

Usually booster rockets that have depleted their solid fuel crash into the ocean for retrieval and reuse. Elon Musk’s SpaceX business is one of a few rocket launch companies to achieve controlled landing of a rocket onto a sailing launchpad. 70% of the Earth is covered in water so there is a high probability that the rocket pieces that reenter the atmosphere will crash in the ocean.

3 Likes

There is no treaty to not militarize space between space launch capable nations. There are satellites that can disable other satellites but also satellites that, well can cause natural disasters on earth which is my unusual belief. The US mainstream news media has been informing the American people about China in a negative perspective which is unfortunate.

4 Likes

I was kind of hoping it would land on the Whistle Stop Cafe in Mirror, Alberta.

3 Likes
5 Likes

There really does need to be a globally agreeable set of rules. China just has that sense of a superpower starting to test their wings.

I just hope everyone remains calm, and remembers that peace is our ultimate goal here. Well, for sane people anyway

Strange Days…

3 Likes

The globally agreeable set of rules is determined by the leading world hegemon. When a rising 2nd hegemon emerges to establish its own rules, there is conflict.

Peace time is the only duration to prepare for war. Every century since the 1800s has seen its share of war from the “War of 1812”, the American Civil War, the 1st and 2nd Opium Wars etc. What war will the 21st century hold?